Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Sorry that PowerDVD program didn't work for you.

I have that very same program on my PC's running W10 v1809 and it works fine.

Doesn't tell me to upgrade or anything.

As a matter of fact, I am playing a movie on it right now to make sure nothing has changed in the several months that have passed since I played a DVD on the PC I am using now.

Are you watching a special DVD or something? 

I did get a window that opened asking if I wanted to upgrade to version 18 to take advantage of the latest codecs, but I just closed the window.

As far as being forced to upgrade, that I didn't have to do.

I even shut down the program and opened it again to make sure nothing changed.  Works just fine for me.

Anyway...I think you would be OK to go with your second option...roll back to Vista, upgrade to W7, then W10.

HP Recommended

My system must lack some specific driver or something that Win 10 did not bring in. i tried everything again and nothing worked, so I have to decide whether it is worth the time to do all that, Vista to 7 to 10 and see if putting a DVD movie in works or not, and maybe get the mouse as a bonus... and suffer the wrath of the wifey who wonders why I tinker with a 12 year old computer anyway... when I can just swivel in the chair, pop the movie into this XPS and be done with it.

Everything works fine other than those two things. The system might actually be a tad snappier if I just left it as is and moved forward for the time being... and tinkered with this in the summer.

It is frustrating though. Things we so much easier for me when I was in the Mac world 20 years ago. There I could do quite a bit more and never felt lost or its over my head.

:Crying:

HP Recommended

I can dig up an old Vista DVD program you can try.

I had to use it on my older HP 6910p and nc6400 notebook PC's that originally came with XP and Vista, and the cyberlink program I gave you wouldn't work.  It would not read the CD.

But this ancient program works great o n W10.

Give me a a bit to upload it to my skydrive folder.  I have to pull it out of a Vista  recovery DVD I have buried somewhere...

HP Recommended

OK, you can click on the Skydrive link I posted yesterday and this time download, unzip and install the file labeled WINDVD5.zip

HP Recommended

Paul,

I will do that when I can but right now I have to go out for awhile and put this aside. Hopefully I can get to it today... and I will give you mega Kudos for helping me as you have been extremely helpful.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Hopefully that old program will work for you too.

HP Recommended

Yes, success! The InterVideo did work allowing me to watch my DVD movies on the HP. That issue did finally get resolved with your help. I deleted the other program you suggested as it did not work.

Is there a DVD CD burner program on HP's site I could download that would work on my HP? A burner was all inclusive in my Cyber Link program that came on the HP. I do know of some third party burners available at Snap Files but they all include a watermark. None are as smooth as Power 2 Go by Cyber LInk.

Your assistance has been very helpful and much appreciated though. Thank you.

:generic:

HP Recommended

That is great news.

I guess you had the same issue I did with PowerDVD12.  it must not work on W10 on older model notebooks.

Here is the link to the W10 Cyberlink Power2Go DVD burning software.  Hopefully that will work for you.

This worked on every one of my HP PC's except one.

CyberLink Power2Go is an imedia burning software that allows users to burn data, music or video discs. CyberLink Power2Go offers support for CDs, DVDs, HD DVDs, and Blu-ray discs, and also includes features for disc copying. This package is available for supported notebook models running supported operating systems.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp75001-75500/sp75142.exe

If not, we can try the old software from the same restore disk the DVD burning program worked from.

HP Recommended

Paul,

The burner did not work. Darn. The install stopped indicating that the drive was not compatible with the software trying to install. Here is the drive specs: TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633L.

1. If you can extract stuff off your original restore disks, can I? I have three, made right after I bought the HP back in Jan. 2008... now assuming they still work (CDs/DVDs do wilt away) can I open one up and extract a particular (burner) etc. if I know what I am looking for? Trouble there is that I don't know how to do it, if its possible to do.

2. Is the necessary mouse software there too? Otherwise I did download a mouse/keyboard driver file (sp45558), from HP's 1200 Pavilion laptop category for Windows 7 64bit. My best guess considering they stopped supporting my 1020 model. Would that work or would you advise against trying it seeing that all I am lacking there is a darn click lock feature which allows one to click on a file and drag it without holding down on the mouse button to move it from A to B etc.

I'll await your reply... you've been very helpful.

:generic:

HP Recommended

Sorry that software didn't work for you.

Go back to my skydrive link download, unzip and run the file labeled ROXIO.zip.

That was the Vista DVD burning software HP used back in the day.

As far as the mouse, unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to help you with that.

You can try the driver from a newer model dv4.  I don't suppose that you have anything to lose.

Create a system restore point first before experimenting so you can go back if the installation makes things worse.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.