Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Notebook 15
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

I recently connected an external hard drive and accidentally designated it as my boot partition from the disk manager, now whenever I boot my laptop it says bootmgr not detected and loops this process. I entered bios and found that my laptop recognizes my external hard drive as the notebook Internal hard drive and I cannot seem to find my internal hard drive which has windows on in the boot menu, tried restoring defaults but didnt help, someone please save me I dont want to lose my data 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Yosryy

Welcome to the HP support community.

Run Startup Repair from Windows Recovery Environment

1. Insert the Windows installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer.
  2. Press a key when the message Press any key to boot from CD or DVD appears.
    If your PC does not detect the media automatically
    1. During the restart process, read the screen for any instructions that explain how to interrupt normal startup and enter the basic input/output system (BIOS) setup utility. Most PCs use the F2, F10, ESC, or DEL key to begin the BIOS Setup.
    2. Look for a tab in the BIOS Setup Utility that is labeled Boot OrderBoot Options, or Boot. Following the directions on the screen, use the arrow keys to go to the Boot Order, then press Enter.
    3. Locate the CD, DVD, or USB flash drive (this might be called Removable Device) in the Boot list. Following the directions on the screen, use the arrow keys to move the drive up so that it appears first in the Boot list. Press Enter. The boot order sequence is now changed to boot from the CD, DVD, or USB flash drive.
    4. Press F10 to save your changes and to exit the BIOS Setup Utility. Select Yes in the confirmation window. The PC will restart.
  3. Select a language, a time and a currency, a keyboard or input method, and then select Next.
  4. Select Repair your computer.
  5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, select the drive of your Windows installation, and then select Next.
  6. At the System Recovery Options dialog box, select Repair your computer.
  7. Select the operating system that you want to repair, and then select Next.
  8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, select Startup Repair.

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.