cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
rdupless
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

CMOS Battery location

HP Recommended
HP 15-da00076nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am having issues locating the CMOS battery.  The original owner carried the laptop in for a repair, but the repair was too expensive.  My assumption is this repair shop removed the CMOS battery and I can't locate where it was located. Does anyone have any idea?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
145,033 68,594 22,827 35,003
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Most of the newer HP notebooks such as yours do not have a CMOS battery.

The internal battery maintains the clock and BIOS settings.

Below is the link to the service manual for the 15-da0xxx model series, and as you can see...no RTC (CMOS) battery is listed in chapter 3 nor is there a procedure to remove and replace the RTC battery.

HP 15 Laptop PC Maintenance and Service Guide

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
4 REPLIES 4
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Most of the newer HP notebooks such as yours do not have a CMOS battery.

The internal battery maintains the clock and BIOS settings.

Below is the link to the service manual for the 15-da0xxx model series, and as you can see...no RTC (CMOS) battery is listed in chapter 3 nor is there a procedure to remove and replace the RTC battery.

HP 15 Laptop PC Maintenance and Service Guide

WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
34,852 24,531 3,148 7,861
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@rdupless 

I'm going to be presumptive in that MOST folks coming here asking about CMOS batteries in laptops are trying to remove that to reset a password -- which, of course, does NOT work.  IF that is your issue, then you are likely stuck because any BIOS or power-on password is encrypted into the firmware on the motherboard.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
rdupless
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am absolutely in disbelief. I considered the CMOS battery as an unreasonable concept years ago and considered the local battery as a replacement. But didn't have a solution if the local battery completely discharged and having to configure CMOS settings periodically. Absolutely no one at HP could provide a solution to my problem, and the manual didn't provide any information. They attempted to sell me a CMOS battery for a system that didn't have one. I viewed several motherboards, and couldn't locate the CMOS battery connector or RTC connection. My final solution was searching the motherboard for a new surface-mount battery. I truly appreciate the information you provided. It is like an introduction to viewing the Holy grail. Wow!

Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation