Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ProBook 470 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop will only start in Safe Mode,without networking so I am unable to log on to my domain for Windows to start, The local Administrator account is disabled. I have tried using Shift + Restart however cannot access anything because there is no BitLocker Key available not that i recall there being an option to add BitLocker or not or that it needed a secure password to be able to access it. 

I did think I would backup the data and re-install Windows, unfortunately I cannot disable the UEFI BIOS Boot Order as the option is greyed out,  in order to stop the laptop booting to Windows on drive C.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received. 

Bring back the good old days of full BIOS access and being able to use a DOS boot disk !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Scribeman 

OK, understand ... but I reread your post and noticed the comment about BitLocker -- and if your drive was encrypted, we also can't help you with accessing it now.

Being stuck in SAFE mode implies that Windows got corrupted along the way, and with Bitlocker in the equation, there is no way to recover what you had because it was encrypted.

You could always download your own Win10 media using another PC, but that would require reformatting this PCs drive and doing a clean install and that means you will lose everything in the process.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Scribeman 

Are you sure we're talking about the same thing -- because using a Domain is a Network Login -- and you would have to talk to the administrators of the Domain network in order to setup your PC to login to it automatically.  We can not help you with that.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response WWAWood.

The laptop logins in to Windows Microsoft account using username@companyemailaddress.co.uk which I am right in thinking is not stored locally, however when i try to log on to I get the message 'We are unable to connect at the moment. Check your network and try again later.' which i take it, is because the laptop is booting into Safe Mode without network support.

The network side is all set-up, I just can't access it, because the laptop, boots directly into Safe Mode without network support.

I hope that explains it better.

Many thanks

Kevin

HP Recommended

@Scribeman 

OK, understand ... but I reread your post and noticed the comment about BitLocker -- and if your drive was encrypted, we also can't help you with accessing it now.

Being stuck in SAFE mode implies that Windows got corrupted along the way, and with Bitlocker in the equation, there is no way to recover what you had because it was encrypted.

You could always download your own Win10 media using another PC, but that would require reformatting this PCs drive and doing a clean install and that means you will lose everything in the process.

HP Recommended

Thanks WaWood,

I have bought a new hard drive as I half suspected that a re-format would be required, Will the Dos Command line in the HP system software be able to re-format the drive with BitLocker being enabled ? 

Just to be on the safe side I have ordered a new hard drive just in case I need to install a new HD in order to be able to install Win 10 again.

Many thanks

Kevin

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.