Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteBook 9480m
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

When I plug my laptop into my docking station before I've booted the laptop will lock up. If I wait until it's booted it works fine. I'm using VGA and HDMI cables to the 2 monitors but playing around with configurations of the monitors doesn't seem to matter.  It did work at one time but perhaps an update broke it. I've run the HP support tool to make sure I have the latest updates. Any ideas?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

This is a well known and old issue fo rmany years. I know this from the nc4400 and tc4400 series up to now. It "seems" as if the notebook freezes when booting it docked in into the docking station. It can take up to 5 minutes that the HP logo boot screen is shown, all fans are running and nothing happens. But after that time the boot procedure continues and all is fine. I could not find out yet why this behaviour occurs or why it takes such a long time but I think the Laptop tries at this early stage of the booting procedure to slowly detect all ports and cards, also those of the docking station at slow old PIO mode without having the fast detection routines of modern Windows at hand.

So please take the time and patience to just dock in the laptop into the dock station, then swtich it on with the on/off power button at the dock station and wait ....  it should continue after a while.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.