Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
dv6-7000
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
My (old) dv6-7000 will no longer start up.

When attempting to boot it, the caps lock key blinks once every second. The online help says that this means the cpu is at fault. I'm well beyond a warranty, so had anyone else run into this problem and fixed it on their own?

Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Numen1

Thank you for replying with the detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I recommend you proceed with caution as HP doesn't recommend reseating the CMOS and you may do so at your own discretion as the product is beyond the warranty period.

Normally, you would be referred to Contact HP in such scenarios, that said, you could remove all necessary components before getting to the CMOS and remove/clean and re-insert it.

This should fix the issue and if it doesn't, you will have to Contact HP for a motherboard/CPU repair or replacement.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Numen1

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, 

Riddle_Decipher is at your service. 

As I Understand the computer doesn't boot into windows and the caps lock blinks once every few seconds,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Is this the article you went through to confirm this hardware failure (Click here)?

If yes, there are a few things you could attempt before proceeding with a hardware repair/replacement of the faulty parts,

• The first thing to do is: turn off your PC, unplug the charger, take out the battery, then open the RAM slot.
  • Take out the RAM and disconnect the wireless card.
  • Press the power button at that point, and keep it pressed for like 30 sec.
  • Reassemble it all and try to boot.
  • It may be a power problem or BIOS failure. Try this out; it should be OK.
  • If that does not work, reset your BIOS from CMOS by taking out the small battery behind the RAM modules also known as the CMOS Battery for a few seconds and re-insert it.
  • This should fix the issue and if it does not, you will need to Contact HP as we may need to replace/repair the motherboard and/or the CPU.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well, 

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.​​​​​​​

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thanks for replying!

I did use the article you linked.

The steps you provided didn't change the blinking. For the CMOS battery, should i remove it with everything still plugged in (battery out and AC power out of course)?

Thanks.
HP Recommended

@Numen1

Thank you for replying with the detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I recommend you proceed with caution as HP doesn't recommend reseating the CMOS and you may do so at your own discretion as the product is beyond the warranty period.

Normally, you would be referred to Contact HP in such scenarios, that said, you could remove all necessary components before getting to the CMOS and remove/clean and re-insert it.

This should fix the issue and if it doesn't, you will have to Contact HP for a motherboard/CPU repair or replacement.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So was it solved?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.