Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Desktop TE01-2250xt CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I went to move all of my apps and data over to my new Envy, but LapLink tells me I don't have enough room on my C drive (a SSD drive).  It says I need to put all of my apps on the C drive, even though I have a 1Tb hard drive as my D drive.  The obvious answer seems to me to swap them out and make the 1TB my C drive.

Before you point me how to change the drive letter, I know how to do this in BIOS (I've been doing it since Windows '95).  

My question is this:  If I change the boot drive to the 1Tb drive, does Windows have to reside on it?  Do I need to get Windows installed on that drive as well?

Thanks in advance for yourt help.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@JohnKiernan 

I've used the LapLink product numerous times and never run into this issue.  There is an option to create a recovery FILE, which is what I do because I save that file to USB, copy that file to the new PC, and then restore from that file on the new PC.  Whenever I did this, LapLink allowed me to point to whichever volume I wanted in order to save the file.

As to booting, you do not require the OS to be on the boot volume, only the boot loader files.  A simple way to do that is to download EasyBCD and use that to migrate the boot loader files to the HDD.  You can get EasyBCD from here:  https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hello
what you indicate @JohnKiernan 
you most likely have a computer with a smaller m2 SSD drive and a 1TB HDD mechanical drive.
I advise you to solve the problem, without having to touch the boot configuration, windows!
You have to use the SSD for windows, if you try to modify it so that it is the HDD disk instead, you may make an error, and not be able to restart.
And if you succeed, you will have a small performance problem, the HDD drive, being significantly slower than an SSD.

up to you !

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.