Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 4-1030us
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there, 

I have a booting issue with my Envy 4-1030us, currently running Windows 10 home, 20H2 edition, with 8GB RAM, 180GB SSD.

After years of using this wonderful computer, it starts to give me some issues. I replaced the original hard drive to SSD and upgrade the RAM to 8 GB DDR3. After the last attempt to upgrade the eSATA SSD, the computer starts to experience issues. Noticeably it won't start anymore, the computer will turn on, but no beeping sound or any other noise. The power button light is on, as well as F5 and F12 (orange color) lite up. And within 15 seconds or so, the CapsLock starts to blink, 2 blinks interval, and keep ongoing.

I looked up the blinking, and from what I read, it means BIOS corruption issue: Click Here.   

I followed the link provided by another post: Click Here ,   to troubleshoot, and so far, after 2 days of trying, it became unfruitful. 

I wonder if this means more than just BIOS, or perhaps the motherboard is completely fried. I hope to get some answers before I turn in the computer for good.

Thank you for your time and wisdom!

Richard

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

If you suspect your BIOS to be the problem you can download the update from HP site and make a bootable usb to update it.

Before doing that unplug your power and remove battery then hold down Power button for a few seconds and try again to start it w/o the battery.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. It didn't even get to the boot screen. I have the boot USB, and it won't go through it either. Currently, it will start, into a black screen, and remain there with Caps Lock blinking twice. That's all the symptoms. 

HP Recommended

Make sure that USB stick boots on different computer, also make sure that the PC is booting in UEFI compatibility mode. It should be pretty straightforward in your BIOS settings.

HP Recommended

Got ya. the issue is that it doesn't even post, and only in black screen. and yes, the USB works on other devices as boot drive.

HP Recommended

If your computer does not start, light emitting diodes (LEDs) or beeps can help identify the issue. 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01732674

If the error that you are getting is for corrupt BIOS, you can try rolling back the BIOS to the previous version and see if it works.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.