Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 m6 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Randomly a few days ago my computer decided to go black with only a blue textbox asking for "Administrator or bootup password." When I turn it on.  I've been able to get around it by just turning my computer on and off again because I only put it on hibernate and that seemed to fix the problem each time. I have not tried to shut it off completely yet out of fear.

When it is asking for administrative password, is it asking for the password of the account which has administrative priveledges? Otherwise I have no idea what to do with a boot password. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Dragirby,

I reviewed your post and I understand that the computer is asking for an administrator password when you turn it on.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

Based on your description, it looks like the computer is asking for a BIOS password. You need to enter the password to boot to BIOS.

You can remove this password by booting to BIOS and going to the Security tab, however, you need to know the password to enter the BIOS.

I hope that answers your question and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry for the delay. I never asked my computer to boot to bios, it just has tried to everytime my computer enters hibernation or turns on, and then moves past it everytime I restart it. 

If its asking for a Bios password, how might I find out what it is as I do not remember setting it up, as the bestbuy Geek-Squad were the first to handle my computer. Does my Windows 10 Administrator's account password also count? I'm also concerned as to why it might be asking for one now, as It has not done such a thing any other time I've intentionally booted to BIOS.

HP Recommended

@Dragirby,

No, the Windows password will not work for the BIOS. However, you can give it try just in case you might have given the same Windows password for BIOS.

Also, I want to you to check whether you are able to boot to BIOS. If yes, then you can go to the security tab on BIOS and clear all the passwords.

As you have mentioned that the computer doesn't always go to the BIOS password screen, I recommend you download and install the latest BIOS available for your computer from the below link.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I attempted to put the windows password and it failed. I tried to boot to bios the request for the password came up. The next 6 or so times i turned the computer on, it would go straight to the password screen rather than past it like before. I was able to get past it it by pressing space a bunch of times, or the amount of failed boots just so happened to override the request for BIOS. Thus I am unable to boot to it to turn off the password.

I have the most current Version according to HP support assistant, downloaded a full month before the problems started.

HP Recommended

@Dragirby,

We need to flash the BIOS to remove the password, I recommend you contact support and they will assist you in this regard.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.