Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
pavilion dv7 3012eo
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi I have a problem with my computer the last month, first it takes time for it to start so I have to power it on and leave it on  for some time then shut it down and power it on again then it will start. The problem is that det lights and the fan goes on but the screen is black and the computer doesn't sound as much as it usually does. When I finally get in to Windows it works for a little time then it goes black and hangs itself again, sometimes direkt sometimes a couple of hours in. The screen goes black and the mouse and the keyboard hangs but the fan and the lights keep working, but you here that the computer slows down when it goes black. 

Something I recognise is when the computer works hard then it doesn't shut down, but as fast as it slows down and is normal the screen goes black and it hangs itself. I have windows 10 now but it was the same problem with windows 7 so it can't be windows that's the problem.

Does anybody knows what this problem can be, and sorry for my english it's not my primary language.

/Alexander

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@Alex19851

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Firstly, perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant: (do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating) 

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

And, also run BIOS Update: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have dont that and there is nothing do upgrade from Windows or HP. This is and old computer so HP dosent have my updates anymore.

HP Recommended

@Alex19851

Thank you for posting back, 

Try this: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01867418 Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 7)  Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 7)

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I hade Windows 7 before then I erased everything and installed Windows 10 instead and I got the same problem.

HP Recommended

@Alex19851

Thank you for posting back. 

As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now.

I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options in order to diagnose the computer physically.  HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/​​​​​​

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ok, do you think that the psu or the harddrive can cause this problem?

HP Recommended

@Alex19851

Thank you for posting back.

A computer freezing is often caused by too many programs running simultaneously, outdated software programs and drivers will taking up processing power and reducing the PC's performance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi sorry for late reply but I think its wrong with the Bios, because I have seen others with the same problem. I need to find the first update of my bios. Right now I have f.15 Insyde and I need f.03 or 04 but I cant find it anywere. My computer is HP Pavilion dv7 3012eo.

HP Recommended

Hi@Alex19851, Welcome to HP Community!

Let's start with performing a hard reset on the PC to release any excessive static/power that could have caused the issue. 

• Turn off the computer. 
  • Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers. 
  • Unplug the AC adapter from the computer. 
  • Press and hold down the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors that protect the memory. 
  • Press the Power button to turn on the computer. 
  • If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally, and then press the Enter key. 

Second, you can check if there is Bios update available for your PC, here is the link to download. 

Performing a test on the Hard drive as well as on the Memory from the Hardware diagnostics:  

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  3. On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  4. Click Extensive Test.
  5. Click Run once, or Loop until error.
    While the test is running, the time remaining and test results for each component are shown on the screen. The test can take 2 or more hours to complete.

NOTE:

If the diagnostics are not available when using the F2 menu, run the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics from a USB drive. To download the latest version of the diagnostics, go to the HP Hardware Diagnostics website. For instructions, see Testing from an external USB device.

Keep me posted. Happy to help!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.