Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp pavilion 17 notebook pc
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Computer shuts off when moved. Even slightly.  

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @Batorp,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips!  I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you are having issues with the computer not booting properly. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details: 

What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824

Does the laptop shutdown right away if the charger is disconnected from the laptop?

Have you tried to use a different compatible charger and check if it helps?

Did this happen after a power surge or power outage?

Does the laptop turn on by moving the screen?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Let’s start with performing a hard reset to release any excessive static/power that could have caused the issue: 

To perform a hard reset on a computer with a removable battery, use the following steps: 

1. Turn off the computer. 

2. Remove the computer from any port replicator or docking station. 

3. Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers. 

4. Unplug the AC adapter from the computer. 

5. Remove the battery from the battery compartment. 

6. Press and hold down the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors that protect the memory. 

7. Insert the battery and plug the AC adapter back into the notebook computer, but do not connect any of the peripheral devices. 

8. Press the Power button to turn on the computer. 

If the computer shuts down by just moving the screen, I would suggest this could be due to display cable. I would recommend you contact HP phone support for available service related options.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey guys.  I found out what was wrong with the computer.  I had eaten some sticky food and had gotten it on the power button.  The power button was stuck down.  Haha. I cleaned it and got a toothpick and unstuck the power button.   Back in business .

HP Recommended

Hi @Batorp,

Thank you for the update,
I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad to hear you found the solution you were looking for.
Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.
I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.
And mark my post as Accepted Solution to help others find a similar solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My HP Pavilion computer would also shut down any time I barely joggled the screen or changed it's angle. I had tried everything, running diagnostics, running Windows updates, security scans, defragmentation, clearing browsing data, file cleanup, optimizing the disk, going back to a Restore point in the system, possibly ready to even go through the incredible hassle of clearing and reinstalling Windows 10, etc. Called some tech wizards at my local Staples, and they had nothing, except maybe a mechanical problem with the switch that is in the hinge. Then I saw online something about static charge buildup causing shutdowns; it said to remove my battery, shut off and unplug the computer, then plug it in and hold down the start button for a few seconds to discharge the static buildup. So I shut the computer lid down, unplugged it and turned over the computer to search for how to take out the battery. As I was noticing with disappointment that the battery was deep inside and not easily accessible, I noticed that the screen/lid had a bigger gap by one hinge than the other, and a big gap in the middle...so without even thinking about fixing the problem, just making the computer look normal, I squeezed the back lid between the hinges, and something went snap-pop! Then I did it on one hinge and got a smaller pop! Then the second hinge, and a huge snapping sound! Thought I had broke something else, but the gap was now even all the way across. Then it hit me, maybe the switch in the hinge was not working right because the lid was loose! So I opened and started the computer, plugged it in again, and realized as I test-wiggled the lid...THAT FIXED IT! NOW WHERE IS MY MEDAL? I AM OFFICIALLY A FREAKING TECH HERO WIZARD NOW! LOLOLOL 😲😂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.