06-16-2019 09:32 AM
Hi, after updating the BIOS my laptop won't turn on anymore. The screen stays blank and nothing happens even after waiting several minutes. Sometimes the num lock light will flash 2.2 times after turning it on (https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01732674 indicates this is a BIOS corruption issue)
Actions I've tried:
- Removing the battery and running only on AC power
- Creating a recovery USB and holding Windows+B while booting (the computer reads the USB for a short while but nothing happens after that)
- Holding ESC+Up+Down while booting to invoke Sure Start (nothing happens)
- Resetting the CMOS battery
- Recreating the HP_TOOLS partition on the SSD with another computer (it was missing before that)
The old version of the BIOS was either 01.10 or 01.13 and the version I updated to is 01.39. Interestingly HPBIOSUPDREC.exe for 0.139 won't even work as it says "The system BIOS update file is missing or corrupt".
06-29-2019 01:08 AM
Sounds like it is going to need service. Are you still in warranty?
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***
06-29-2019 08:45 AM
I have 13 days left on my warranty according to support.hp.com but when I change my location to Sweden the site says this product is no longer serviced by HP. I got it from school after graduation so I don't have any proof of purchase either.