Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

today my computer stopped reacting. When I tried to reboot it, it didn't work. I resetted Windows and managed to  save my data before it shut down again. When I tried to restart it, I got the message 'The selected boot device failed. Press <Enter> to Continue.' . So I tried to load windows from a USB drive. That got me to the HP logo but not any further. So I did hardware diagnostics and the Hard Drive failed the DST test with the Failure Code  M4NF31-95R9SM-GXGJ21-61BH03. 

Is it possible to fix this? Can the hard drive be exchanged and how much would something like that cost? What part of the drive is damaged?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Thomas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, Thomas:

Below is the link to the failure report generated by the code you posted, minus your notebook's serial number.

Failure Information
Failure ID Tag Checksum HP Serial Number Test Date Failure Code Device Includes Error Message
M4NF31-95R9SM-GXGJ21-61BH03.OKXXXXXXXXXX12/7/19305StorageFloppy Drive, Hard Drive, Memory Drive, Optical Drive, SCSI, Tape DriveHard Disk 1 Full Test Failure

You will need to install a new Solid Sate Drive, and reinstall the operating system.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the SSD removal and replacement procedure.

h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06172090

The specs for your notebook indicate that it came with a 256 GB M.2 SATA SSD.

I recommend you upgrade to a 500 GB M.2 SSD.

This one has the best performance for the price.

Amazon.com: Western Digital 500GB WD Blue 3D NAND Internal PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, M.2 2280, Up to...

You can use your W10 installation media you created to reinstall W10, or you can also use the HP cloud recovery tool, which will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Customer Support

As far as why it failed or what part of the drive failed, that is anyone's guess.   A SSD has no moving parts, just a bunch of memory chips and integrated circuits.

The most likely cause of failure was prolonged exposure to heat.

Notebooks generate a lot of heat and there is no place for it to quickly dissipate.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi, Thomas:

Below is the link to the failure report generated by the code you posted, minus your notebook's serial number.

Failure Information
Failure ID Tag Checksum HP Serial Number Test Date Failure Code Device Includes Error Message
M4NF31-95R9SM-GXGJ21-61BH03.OKXXXXXXXXXX12/7/19305StorageFloppy Drive, Hard Drive, Memory Drive, Optical Drive, SCSI, Tape DriveHard Disk 1 Full Test Failure

You will need to install a new Solid Sate Drive, and reinstall the operating system.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the SSD removal and replacement procedure.

h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06172090

The specs for your notebook indicate that it came with a 256 GB M.2 SATA SSD.

I recommend you upgrade to a 500 GB M.2 SSD.

This one has the best performance for the price.

Amazon.com: Western Digital 500GB WD Blue 3D NAND Internal PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, M.2 2280, Up to...

You can use your W10 installation media you created to reinstall W10, or you can also use the HP cloud recovery tool, which will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Customer Support

As far as why it failed or what part of the drive failed, that is anyone's guess.   A SSD has no moving parts, just a bunch of memory chips and integrated circuits.

The most likely cause of failure was prolonged exposure to heat.

Notebooks generate a lot of heat and there is no place for it to quickly dissipate.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.