Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
DV6-2044DX
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Background: No recovery partitions, no screen output at all.

I took my laptop out of the closet after a long while of storage and I wanted to format it and give it to my daughter. It worked for a bit, an hour or so, and then it shut itself off. Trying to start it results in two LED blinks indicating a corrupt BIOS. I looked through the HP help and it didn't seem like a big deal, according to their instructions... but...

The BIOS file for this laptop does not allow for any sort of USB recovery option. It extracts to a "winflash.exe" file which extracts further into InsydeFlashx64.exe, the BIOS file and a handful of .sys and .dll files. Trying to run the InsydeFlash file brings up a window wanting me to flash the BIOS but I have no use for a Windows based BIOS flash problem since my laptop will not boot.

I tried the WinKey+B combination to get into some sort of BIOS recovery and nothing. I've tried the hard reset with unplugging everything and holding the power button for both 15 seconds and even up to a minute and still the same results.

I've replaced the CMOS battery, reseatting the RAM, even did a RAM diagnostics test on a different laptop that went fine. 

Any help would be appreciated. I keep reading about how easy it is to just download the BIOS recovery file or use the key combo to get into BIOS upgrade but I'm guessing that my laptop is dated before those options or HP relies way too heavily on the receovery partition one. I have the recovery discs but cannot use those either given I can't get past the black screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That key combination has been around since before 2008 for emergency BIOS recovery. I went back and found some instances where it worked on the dv6000 series which is older than yours. 

Thanks for the "Solution"...I wanted to add that on really new machines UEFI allows a BIOS recovery through the diagnostic program sometimes incorrectly called UEFI BIOS, but I know your machine is pre-true UEFI and I think the UEFI method replaced the Win + B. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Don't put so much stock in the blink Codes. If the laptop does not respond at all to a power on button push that is not a good sign and is tending to indicate that the motherboard is dead. That would explain why none of the BIOS recovery options is working. 

HP Recommended

It responds fine to a power button push. it turns on, fan comes on, like normal. It will sit there, dark screen, with LEDS blinking though. I can then power it off like normal as well. There is only one BIOS recovery option that isn't working and that is the WinKey+B. But if that is a sure fire sign of it being dead then that is how it is.

The the problem I have with that though is since the BIOS I can download pre-dates any of the help documents by HP, as in the .exe does not allow for any sort of USB recovery option at all, then I wonder if this laptop may pre-date the WinKey+B button combo at the beginning. This laptop is from 2009, if not 2008 and purchased early in 2009. 

I really do appreciate your help, thank you!

HP Recommended

That key combination has been around since before 2008 for emergency BIOS recovery. I went back and found some instances where it worked on the dv6000 series which is older than yours. 

Thanks for the "Solution"...I wanted to add that on really new machines UEFI allows a BIOS recovery through the diagnostic program sometimes incorrectly called UEFI BIOS, but I know your machine is pre-true UEFI and I think the UEFI method replaced the Win + B. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.