Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
DV6-70910US
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP DV6-7010US that until this am was working fine no start-up problems!

This am when I pressed the power button, all that happened was the Wifi light glowed yellow , the fan ran and about 5 seconds later the Caps Lock button started flashing, the screen remained black and the hard drive inoperative.

After several attempts with the same result I consulted the HP support assistant and concluded I had a BIOS problem. Based on the suggestions I then tried all of the following:

A soft restart by removing the battery, pressing Power for 30 secs to discharge any residual energy. then pressing the Windows & B keys before powering up, I held the keys in but no screen info or sounds resulted even after 1 minute. Same holds true for Windows & V keys.

I checked the CMOS BIOS battery at 3.2V, removed and reinserted the memory cards, then repeated the procedure with an external monitor - same result.

I cannot find the BIOS recovery software referenced on “Recover a BIOS using a USB drive” on the HP software & support page, the closest I get is ‘Windows 8 update’ .

Any /all suggestions welcomed THANKS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@DaveyJones,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

You can use the latest BIOS available for your computer for Windows 8 or Windows 7 to downgrade the BIOS on your computer.

I recommend you follow the steps in the below article to perform BIOS recovery.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@DaveyJones,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

You can use the latest BIOS available for your computer for Windows 8 or Windows 7 to downgrade the BIOS on your computer.

I recommend you follow the steps in the below article to perform BIOS recovery.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, Thanks much for suggesting the Windows 8 F25A BIOS as the file.  I created a boot USB as instructed on the site (no problems) however when I placed it in the PC and powered up it only flashed twice then the PC reverted to flashing  'WiFi' & 'Caps lock' lights.  I also tried holding down the Windows and V key then powering up - no success!

Any further suggestions are welcomed.

HP Recommended

@DaveyJones,

If the steps I shared didn't do the trick, it would confirm a hardware malfunction and you may want to contact support to have the device repaired.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.