Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
pavilion dv6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

it wont' start up. It tries to start up, and I  managed to press 'esc' and  test the system and everything seems OK.except for

Failure ID: PGAFHA-401AOL-MFH1(I?)5G-COBG03

AND

BATTERY TEST PRIMARY REPLACE (42)

AND ANOTHER BATTERy TEST passsed.

Everything else start up/ run in test / memory/hard drive/system tune up/...all passed

But  tried to do a system restore and now nothing will boot up. ( had windows 7 before HP DV6 and upgraded to Windows10E

It was working fine....but after system restore teh automatic repair and subsequent diagnosis....came back with message"cannot repair" I suggested to my wife the poor battery 'might' be to blame. but I doubt it. any suggestions? thanks

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@RAELPH1 

When you did the Win10 Upgrade, that Corrupted the restore information so that, after that, the built-in Restore would not work any more.  That's most likely why it failed.

That said, since the PC was running Win10, it is registered with MS as running that, so if you reinstall it clean using Win10 media, when you get back online, it will contact MS and automatically reactivate .

Use this link to download and create Win10 install media: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

insert that into your PC and BOOT from it.  That will start a fresh install of Win10 and in a hour or less, you should have a working machine again.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you, WA Wood, for your knowledge. Not sure I can follow your instructions to the 'T', as we bought this computer from someone who SAID it was upgraded to Windows 10 (and it was working Windows 10 at the time) from Windows 7....and we don't have a license to install.   I followed your link and first thing that came up was the message

Create Windows 10 installation media

To get started, you will first need to have a license to install Windows 10

We don't have this license.

Do you have a recommendation for this. ?  Would MS have a record of such a license?

Sorry for slow reply....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.