Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-AU100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The Pavilion has performed flawlessly for several years. The unit was left on, on the charger overnight. In the morning the unit was dead. Even the charging light was off. I suspect the battery may have failed. My main question is, would the Pavilion work from the charger if the battery had failed? I have two units and have tried the second charger. I have opened the case and the battery appears swollen. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

If the notebook system board is OK it should still operate with only the power adapter plugged into it.

If the second power adapter has been verified as operating as expected on another compatible laptop, the chances are that the charging/ power distribution circuit may have failed.

Take a close look at the pin in the connector that you plug the power adapter into on the notebook. Is it darkened and discolored?

A swollen battery is an indicator of failure of the battery. 

At "several" years of use, hopefully everything hasn't failed at once.

Unfortunately, that can happen.

If the connector pin is still brightly colored, a new battery would be a good place to start.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help. It appears you think the Pavilion will work off the charger without a good battery.

I don’t want to spend the money on a battery if another problem exists. I have tried charger powering the unit with the battery connected and without the battery connected with no results. If I was certain the unit would not work without a battery, I would buy a replacement battery to try. So my question is, will the unit power up if the battery is out of the circuit?

HP Recommended

If it won't power up with the battery in the circuit, it probably won't power up with the battery removed either.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.