cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
Edwin03
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Dead Pavilion

HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-AU100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The Pavilion has performed flawlessly for several years. The unit was left on, on the charger overnight. In the morning the unit was dead. Even the charging light was off. I suspect the battery may have failed. My main question is, would the Pavilion work from the charger if the battery had failed? I have two units and have tried the second charger. I have opened the case and the battery appears swollen. 

3 REPLIES 3
erico
Level 17
Level 17
48,185 21,045 4,669 8,832
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If the notebook system board is OK it should still operate with only the power adapter plugged into it.

If the second power adapter has been verified as operating as expected on another compatible laptop, the chances are that the charging/ power distribution circuit may have failed.

Take a close look at the pin in the connector that you plug the power adapter into on the notebook. Is it darkened and discolored?

A swollen battery is an indicator of failure of the battery. 

At "several" years of use, hopefully everything hasn't failed at once.

Unfortunately, that can happen.

If the connector pin is still brightly colored, a new battery would be a good place to start.

I am not an HP Employee. I volunteer my time and offer my knowledge to support fellow users. The only reason I am here is to assist others to try to resolve their products issues.
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Edwin03
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your help. It appears you think the Pavilion will work off the charger without a good battery.

I don’t want to spend the money on a battery if another problem exists. I have tried charger powering the unit with the battery connected and without the battery connected with no results. If I was certain the unit would not work without a battery, I would buy a replacement battery to try. So my question is, will the unit power up if the battery is out of the circuit?

erico
Level 17
Level 17
48,185 21,045 4,669 8,832
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If it won't power up with the battery in the circuit, it probably won't power up with the battery removed either.

I am not an HP Employee. I volunteer my time and offer my knowledge to support fellow users. The only reason I am here is to assist others to try to resolve their products issues.
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation