Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre 360
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

Out of the blue, my HP Spectre 360 has stopped booting up.  The lights won't turn on and the battery does not appear to charge when plugged in.  I've had the battery tested and it's in good shape.  The issue seems to be a faulty motherboard.  When I asked for help, HP wanted $750 to replace a defective piece because the product was "out of warranty."  The laptop failed fewer than two years into its life.  This seems to be a very common problem.  However, while many people were offered free replacement parts, the only offer I got was a small discount on an expensive repair.  I'd like to get some help here, please.  This is frustrating and feels unfair.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Have you handled it roughly at all, or made hardware modifications?

HP Recommended

No, not at all.  The device is in like-new condition.

HP Recommended

have you edited system files or registry? If you did, restore them by restarting your PC, then during the boot process, before the HP logo comes up, press Esc once each second until a black screen with some words on it comes up. Press the key labeled recovery or something like that, and wait until the "Choose an option" screen comes up. Click Troubleshoot, then click Advanced. Click Command Prompt, then type these:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth
chkdsk
sfc /scannow

NOTE: Do check disk even if you didn't edit any files.

If you didn't edit files, try booting from USB.

If that works, scan with both MSRT and Defender.

Otherwise, try safe mode, scan from command, and reset your PC.

Here's how:

Safe mode:

Go through to the Advanced options menu in recovery, go to startup settings, and select Restart. Remove all peripherals except needed ones. Select Safe mode with networking by pressing 5 or f5. Download the latest updates from windows update if it works. Also uninstall BIOS updates, and new software.

Scan:

Go to Command prompt in Recovery, and type this:

"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -Scan -ScanType 2

Also try no quotes

Runs a full scan

Reset:

Use this as a last resort

backup:

Go to command in recovery

Type Notepad.exe

Click file, then save

This opens file explorer.

Select files you would like to back up.

Save them to a drive of sorts.

Then type exit. Go back to troubleshoot

Click Reset this Pc. Wait for it to finish.

Otherwise, do backup, and get a new PC.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the suggestion but the computer won't even power on.  It's completely dead -- plugged in or not.  I have done a hard reset to no avail.  Last I read, this is an issue with the motherboard and a common problem that they fail quickly on this model.  I was offered the option to "buy" a very expensive replacement while others were offered a free repair.  If there are any suggestions for how to fix it myself or someone from HP on the line, I would appreciate some help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.