Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Hi Pete, you won't need the old autocheck.exe with the current best sollution in this topic. A few comments above Marley24 came with the following and easier sollution: 

Open regedit and change HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Session Manager\AutChkTimeout from "8" to "1". 

It really becomes time that some HP representative picks this problem up and they fix it with some update instad of us coming with workarounds.. 

HP Recommended

Thank you VERY much.  That worked!!!  Sorry, I didn't see that solution with the long thread.  I appreciate the heads up.  Although it was not a major problem, it was very annoying.  Thanks again.

HP Recommended
No problem, at least you're keeping this topic alive!
HP Recommended

Did anyone ever find a fix for this without a workaround. I just posted a similar problem with the same kind of message after a driver update. See mt post below:

I followed Honk1's  directions for getting driver update, and it worked but ever since I did it every time I turn on my computer or do a restart I get the following message:

"To skip disk checking, press any key within 8 seconds." 

Nothing happens if you press any key or just ignore the message but it's annoying. I googled this new problem and see others had this same message in June of this year but after doing something else. The link to this message in June is :

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Disk-checking-at-every-boot/td-p/6128494

I would appreciate any advise or help from anyone that has gotten this message after turning on their computer or doing a restart.

Holly

PS: I tried to do a disk check on my own, but got the message that my drive was fine, but I could do a disk check if I wished so I declined to do one.

HP Recommended

Yes, the solution that worked for me was 2 posts above yours.  It read:

Re: Disk checking at every boot. 

Hi Pete, you won't need the old autocheck.exe with the current best sollution in this topic. A few comments above Marley24 came with the following and easier sollution: 

Open regedit and change HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Session Manager\AutChkTimeout from "8" to "1". 

It really becomes time that some HP representative picks this problem up and they fix it with some update instad of us coming with workarounds.. 

HP Recommended

Today I did a check disk even though I got the message when I went to check disk for errors that a check disk was not necessary as there were no errors.Then I turned my computer off and then back on. When the message came up "To skip disk checking, press any key within 8 seconds." I waited until the coundown got to 1 and then pressed the 1 key. After pressing the key I got the message scan complete partition error repaired. After I turned my computer off and then back on the message "To skip disk checking, press any key within 8 seconds." no longer appeared. I also tried a restart and didn't get the message there either.

What a simple fix!!!!!

Holly

HP Recommended

The solution proposed by Marley24 worked for me.

I changed HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Session Manager\AutChkTimeout from "8" to "1", rebooted the computer, a very fast chkdsk ran against a system partition, and on subsequent restart there is no prompt for dirty disks.

I have a HP Envy x360 laptop running Windows 10.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Thanks to all who are continuing to keep this thread alive.  I'm still hoping that HP will address what appears to be the root cause: The BIOS is not waiting through the "autochk" countdown for some processors.

I have noticed I made an error in the registry key path in my earlier post.  I guess everyone has been too kind to point it out.  The correct path is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\AutoChkTimeout

The workaround is to change the value from "8" to "1".

HP Recommended

Have te same problem on HP T630.

Disk checking at every boot.

chkdsk.exe 16-07-2016

HP Recommended

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.