Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

When I booted up I got the message that "the SMART hard disk has detected an imminent failure", and to back up data. I ran it thru various tests and the HP DSI checks gave me "Warning." I tried various things...at first I was able to get thru to Windows and off load some stuff. Sometimes it couldn't find the boot disk. I  had a rescue disk, but it couldn't recognize it either. So I ended up using the HP tool to clean off the data and re-install Windows 10. I can get in, but it is really slow, and I still get the message when I boot up. I tried to run check disk from the command prompt, but I won't let me do it because I don't have authorization. Before, it let me run as an administrator.. Device Manager says the HD is working properly!

A few questions: Is this computer doomed? Suggestions on how to find out what is wrong? I am in waaaay over my pay grade, and will appreciate any help!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

The hard drive is about to fail and is not working properly.

If you replace the drive, the PC should work fine again.

You may want to consider replacing the 2.5" mechanical hard drive with a better performing 2.5" solid state drive if your notebook has a 2.5" drive.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for the information. It was very helpful. Unfortunately, I won’t be replacing the drive because the computer has been a disappointment for some time. This is the last straw of several things that have gone wrong with it! But your suggestion to replace the drive would have been very useful under normal circumstances.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.