Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion Entertainment PC dv6-2044dx

Can anyone tell me if the latest BIOS release for the Pavilion Entertainment PC (Model: dv6-2044dx) supports the ability to create a BIOS recovery USB drive?  The BIOS release date was Feb 23, 2010 (File name:sp47531.exe) and its revision is F.13.

My notebook, which is out of warranty, no longer boots.  It will power on and the caps & num lock LEDs will flash 2 times, pause and then repeat.  The screen is completely black with nothing displaying at all.  I've tried disconnecting power, removing the battery, and holding in the power button for 30 - 40 seconds.  I've tried to reset the BIOS using the Win+B keys and power button.  I've tried resetting CMOS by using the Win+V keys and power button but nothing seems to work.  I'm now working from a different computer and I'm attempting to build a BIOS recovery USB drive following the online instructions but the BIOS release date is so old that I'm wondering if this is even possible.  I've downloaded the file to a functional system running Windows 10 and I'm attempting to run the executable as administrator but it fails and never provides the option to "Create Recovery USB flash drive".

Currently I do not have the affected notebook with me and would not be able to attempt resetting using the mentioned methods above.  Please just provide information regarding the creation of the BIOS recovery USB drive and/or confirmation if it's supported with the latest BIOS release.  My intent is to build the drive and attempt to recover the BIOS once I have access to the notebook once again.

Thanks in advance!!!

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @JustAnotherTech

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the BIOS recovery. 

Yes, creating a USB recovery drive should resolve the issue. 

Please try these steps - HP Notebook PCs - Recovering the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Asmita,

Thank you for your response.  Unfortunately, the link that you provided was not helpful as it only covered those steps that I had already taken (Win+b & Win+v).  So, my original question remains unanswered, which is as follows...

Does the latest BIOS update utility (v F.13) for the dv6-2044dx, which was released on Feb 23, 2010, support the creation of a BIOS recovery drive?

All other HP recommended BIOS recovery options have been attempted except for the USB recovery drive method.  Unfortunately, I've not been able to attempt this method due to extraction errors with the BIOS update file (sp47531.exe).  I'm just needing to know if the BIOS update utility was designed to run strictly from the dv6-2044dx or if it can run from another system so that a BIOS recovery drive can be created.

If it is possible to create a BIOS recovery drive using for the dv6-2044dx, please do not just simply send me the same link as before because I have already tried those steps but didn't receive the expected screens when attempting to extract the utility.

Thanks again for the help and any input is appreciated.

HP Recommended

@JustAnotherTech

I'm afraid you cannot use a different BIOS, the BIOS recovery media should be of the same computer. 

Thanks! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Asmita,

Yes, I understand that each individual BIOS update is created for a specific model and cannot be used to update a different system.  However, the information provided on HP's website indicates that a BIOS recovery drive can be created for use on the affected system by running the BIOS update on another system.

Please go to the page linked below and see the section titled "Create a USB recovery drive"...

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04126730

I have attempted these steps but I am not receiving the option to create a USB recovery drive.  The extraction process fails and does not provide the screens shown in the link.  So my question is does the BIOS update for the dv6-2044dx support this functionality?

HP Recommended

@JustAnotherTech

Once you download the BIOS for HP Pavilion dv6-2044dx Entertainment Notebook PC on a working computer, you need to click on Run and then you'll be prompted to Create Recovery USB flash drive. 

May I know what's the error message that you are getting? 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Asmita,

Come on!  Really?!?  You'd think that I'd know to click on Run.  😀😀😀

I've tried just simply running and also running as administrator and neither seems to work.  Below are the screens that I'm seeing in the order of presentation...

Image_1.png

Image_2.png

Image_3.png

Image_4.png

(User name was redacted in the above image)

Image_5.png

I'm inclined to think that this update does not support the BIOS recovery drive creation but was hoping that I could get a definite answer from HP.  Is there a senior support person that you might could ask?

Thanks again and looking forward to your reply.

HP Recommended

@JustAnotherTech

Is the USB in the NTFS format? If it is not, please format the USB to the NTFS format, ensure there's nothing else in it. 

Or, use another USB drive and check if that's working. Also, if the error is occurring before you get to the drive selection part, then, you may try using an alternate PC.

You may also try the HP PC HARDWARE DIAGNOSTICS 4-IN-1 USB KEY

This Key includes HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows, HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI, HP Vision Diagnostics, and files supporting recovery of a corrupted BIOS on supported systems.

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Asmita,

I created the 4-in-1 USB key but was not able to get the notebook to boot to the device, which leads me to believe the system is no longer worth repairing.  HP's website led me to believe that the repair would just be a simple fix but it appears that it's going to require much more than a few key strokes and a new BIOS update to fix this issue.

Thank you so much for your help but I believe that we just need to lay this one to rest.  😞

HP Recommended

@JustAnotherTech

Thanks for trying. 

I'm afraid the next option would be to Contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer.

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.