Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-bc501no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Added M2 SSD to my laptop but laptop doesn't boot on SSD but selects HDD!!! Checked in BIOS but whenever HDD is connected it shows only HDD as drive to boot from ... When HDD is disconnected only then SSD is showin in BIOS. Why is BIOS not showing both drives at same time and then give option to select sequence? is it bcoz HDD was the only option when i bought the laptop but now i have added M2 SSD as i saw empty slot when i opened machine? is their any way out to change this unless i remove Windows 10 from HDD so that it doesn't boot? Actually I don't want to do that as i want to keep it as clone backup to SSD.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi:

The notebook will always boot from the hard drive as long as there is an operating system installed on it.

Dual drive configurations from HP come with the hard drive as storage only, and the SSD as the boot drive.

There are other ways to have a backup.

I use the free Macrium Reflect utility to make a system image of my PC's drives and save the image to a portable hard drive.

Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

Then the utility has you make a bootable rescue flash drive or DVD that you boot from to access the system image you stored on the hard drive.

You can update the system image any time you want.

HP Recommended

@Aniket2021 

Looks like old HDD still keeps the signature, please try the following way

(a) Remove HDD, move/copy data/files out (if required).

(b) Format or re-initalize HDD,

(c) Put back.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.