Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
OMEN 16.1 inch Gaming Laptop PC 16-c0000 (343L4AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Laptop in question is brand new and comes with a 1TB NVMe and Windows 11. Using MiniTool Partition Wizard, I resized the Windows partition down by 200GB. I then used Macrium Reflect to take an image of the Windows partition, and restored that partition into the new 200GB partition. I then used the Windows 'bcdboot' command to setup the new partition. Rebooting the laptop then gave me the Windows Boot Manager with both operating systems available (Windows 11 and Windows 11 Test). I've used this process before on my old laptop, which has two Windows 10 partitions, one installed on a HDD and the other on a SSD.

Doing a comparison of them, I've noticed an issue with the new laptop and can't find a resolution to it.

Issue 1 - My  year old laptop boots into the Windows Boot Manager is about 3-4 seconds. On the new laptop, it's taking around 14-15 seconds. Bear in mind that the old one has a HDD and a SSD, whilst the new one has a NVMe.

Issue 2 - On the new laptop, upon selecting an option from the Windows Boot Manager, it takes the original Windows install about 3-4 seconds to get to the lock screen, whereas on the cloned install, it takes around 15 seconds. Again, it should be noted that the original partition had been fully updated to the latest drivers and Windows updates, and then updates postponed for 4 weeks before being cloned, so both are identical in every respect. At the stage it was cloned, there were no other applications installed other than Chrome, Partition Wizard and Macrium Reflect.

I've posted this on another forum, but after checking various suggestions, am no further forward.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @steamship,

Welcome to HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you. 

If you're experiencing slow boot times when accessing the boot menu on your HP laptop, or when booting from a specific partition, there are several steps you can take to try and resolve the issue.

• Check for software updates: Make sure your operating system and all your drivers are up to date. This can help ensure that your system is running smoothly and may address any known issues with slow boot times.
  • Disable unnecessary startup programs: Some programs may be set to automatically start when you boot your laptop, which can slow down the process. You can disable unnecessary startup programs to improve boot times. In Windows, go to Task Manager > Startup and disable any programs you don't need.
  • Clean up your system: Removing unnecessary files, programs, and apps from your laptop can also help speed up the boot process. You can use tools like Disk Cleanup (built into Windows) or third-party software to help remove unnecessary files and clean up your system.
  • Check your hard drive: A failing hard drive can cause slow boot times. You can use Windows' built-in disk checker to check your hard drive for errors. In Windows, go to File Explorer > This PC > right-click on the drive you want to check > Properties > Tools > Check.
  • Check your BIOS settings: Make sure your BIOS settings are set correctly. You can access your BIOS settings by pressing the appropriate key during startup (usually F2 or Del). Check that the boot order is correct and that any settings related to hard drive access are set correctly.
  • Check for malware: Malware can also slow down your system, including the boot process. Make sure you have an up-to-date antivirus program installed and perform regular scans.
  • Reinstall your operating system: If all else fails, you may need to reinstall your operating system. This can help address any underlying issues and restore your system to its original state. Make sure to back up any important data before reinstalling your OS.

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4
HP Support

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Typical generic answer that shows you didn't read my original post. Fair enough, there was two mistakes in it, but those shouldn't have mattered. The first mistake is that the tag is showing the O/S as being Windows 10, when it is Windows 11 (which is also mentioned in the post), and the second is in the 'Issue 1' line where it says 'My  year old laptop', which should read 'My 9 year old laptop'.

The laptop is brand new, fully updated and with minimal programs installed (listed in the post), all of which were literally the most up to date ones available. That pretty much accounts for all your bullet points, except the last one, which is the typical MS response when restarting it doesn't work.

HP Recommended

Hi @steamship,

Thank you for your response, 

I would request you contact our HP Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link.

https://www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

Alden4
HP Support

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Well that's a easy way of a work day.. just redirect them to someone else without reading indepth what the person said.. like talking to a automatic .. I  believe even an AI would even at least read it normally and respond to the message accordingly. This is just worst service ever.. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.