Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
E1S97EA#UUW
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a blank blackscreen due to a corrupted BIOS upgrade, the computer starts with a blackscreen.

1. waiting does nothing.
2. Holding (Windows key 60+ sec) + (B key 60+ sec) + (Power Button 2-5sec) repeated attempts does not work
3. I tried using (HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI) with no luck (Edit: the instructions was not clear)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So apparently a (USB flash Softpaq HP_TOOLS) works, it will kickstart the partition but not the BIOS update itself.

You need to put the BIOS inside the USB partition for the PC to even respond.

-In my case i needed to run the BIOS update executable on another computer, to unpack the (F.68 rev. A) driver into the "new" folder on the USB.

-If the BIOS update itself is broken, you would need to revert your BIOS by putting it into both the "old" and "current" folder.

The cause is a lost partition/boot_device, caused by either 1. Upgrading from Win8 to Win10 2. Removing some backup data via Windows.

HP Envy-17, year 2016.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @ciider,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Okay thanks, waiting to see if i get such a message.

HP Recommended

@DavidSMP

Bump, i speculate that the BIOS corruption might be caused by changing BIOS preferences, i recall one or two boots i have had, where Fn/F1-F12 keys completely stopped working until a restart.

Anyway, no response David, the scientists are hiding.

HP Recommended

So apparently a (USB flash Softpaq HP_TOOLS) works, it will kickstart the partition but not the BIOS update itself.

You need to put the BIOS inside the USB partition for the PC to even respond.

-In my case i needed to run the BIOS update executable on another computer, to unpack the (F.68 rev. A) driver into the "new" folder on the USB.

-If the BIOS update itself is broken, you would need to revert your BIOS by putting it into both the "old" and "current" folder.

The cause is a lost partition/boot_device, caused by either 1. Upgrading from Win8 to Win10 2. Removing some backup data via Windows.

HP Envy-17, year 2016.

HP Recommended

Bump, my issue is fixed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.