Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteBook 8470p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi!

My EliteBook 8470p gets stuck on the HP logo before getting to load Windows 10 many many times...

Having to do a short press on power to have it powered off, and boot again, this time properly.

Tried to update the Bios, and yet does the problem persist.

Any solutions?

Many thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Leonhawk 

OK, so on first boot, it hangs on the HP logo, but if you press the power button again, it boots OK -- right?

Win10 has enabled a new hibernation process known as Fast Startup -- which is enabled BY DEFAULT. This is different from Fast Boot, which is a BIOS/UEFI option.

Fast Startup is supposed to dramatically speed up the booting process, but in some PCs, it actually slows it down or causes it to hang. It's also a new form of hibernation known as hybrid sleep -- and this causes battery drain to maintain the state of the PC while turned off. In some rare cases, it can also cause a laptop to overheat because the processor is still running and still generating heat, as this has been reported when the laptop was turned off and put inside a case.

Disabling Fast Startup might fix booting and shutdown problems.

There are two ways to disable FastStartup in Win10: (1) through the Control Panel, and (2) through an elevated command prompt.

Control Panel - Open Control Panel --> Power Options.
Select "Choose what the power buttons do"
Select "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
At the bottom of the Window, under Shutdown settings, uncheck the box regarding fast startup

Elevated command prompt - run the following command:
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /V HiberbootEnabled /T REG_dWORD /D 0 /F

In both cases, reboot Windows.

NOW, Fast Startup is disabled.

See if that helps.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi, WAWood, wow, thank you for your much clear and prompt response!

Fast Startup was enabled indeed.

I forgot to mention that the laptop would also get the "HP logo stuck mode" after not using it for a while, which would also have me have to press power to power it off, and power it on again.

Will try the functioning with this Fast Startup disabled, hoping it's sorted out already; and update this post ASAP. 🙂

Edit: the issue still persists.

HP Recommended

Update:

When the computer is put to sleep, it eventually starts up again on its own.

It's got it's own life!

...jokes aside, this also gets it stuck on the HP logo again.

So, pressing power button shortly shuts it off aswell, and then I have to start it again.

I didn't mention that this incident of course makes me lose anything that's not been saved, 

and gets the open documents to have to be recovered.

____

Thank you for your help and attention.

HP Recommended

Hi, can anyone help?

Many thanks .:)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.