Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Laptop PC 15z-eh000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was attempting to install Windows Subsystem for Linux on my HP Laptop following the guide from Microsoft's website: Install WSL on Windows 10 | Microsoft Docs

Restarting after step 3 causes the machine to go into a BSOD loop.

This can be alleviated by loading a system restore point, but re-attempting the installation causes the BSOD loop to come back.

After doing a bit of research for myself, the issue lies in this PowerShell command executed in step 3: 

dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:VirtualMachinePlatform /all /norestart

This step only required for WSL2, so I can use WSL1 for now, but I imagine WSL1 will eventually be phased out.

There was a similar topic to this pertaining to gaming notebooks and this appears to be the same issue: WSL2 / HyperV is causing BSOD on HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 1... - Page 6 - HP Support Community - 78...

It apparently has to do with the AMD processor inside my laptop (Ryzen 4700U with Radeon Graphics)

This is a bug that can only be fixed with a BIOS update on HP's part.

So my question is: Can I expect a BIOS update for my particular model in the future to resolve this issue?

I am ok with waiting for an update, I just want to know that one is in the works.

Edit:

I have changed the subject to avoid people thinking this is a Linux issue.

I have also ran a tool called amdvhyperv and got this result:

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@dmcdo 

Basically, no --as HP does not provide support for Linux so it is certainly not going to expend the resources to update BIOS just to support Linux inside Windows.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I am not asking for help with Linux. This is specifically a Windows issue.

Please read my issue more carefully and follow the links I have provided.

Edit: To be more specific, this had to do with the Virtual Machine Platform feature. WSL2 is just how I encountered the issue in the first place.

HP Recommended

Were you able to fix this issue? I'm facing the same in my brand new HP Pavilion Laptop 15-eh0xxx.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I was not able to fix the issue.

I called up HP tech support but they were unable to help me, and I eventually ended up returning the computer for a full refund.

I would suggest you do the same if you are still able to. It doesn't look like this issue is getting fixed any time soon.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.