Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 6530
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Failure on Startup- Black Screen Then Blue Stopcode Screen - Cannot reinstall or recover anything

Reposting as for some bizarre reason my original question  was marked as spam. It is not!

I have a Pavilion laptop bought in Jan 2019. Didn't start using until Aug 2019. Use for internet safe browsing and word & excel  No games or anything installed and have a firewall and virus protection

Should have called support while under warranty but didn't.

From the get go laptop would go to sleep / hibernate  and never emerge after 15 minutes of non use. Had to do forced power shutdown by pressing power key. No other way to turn it off or have it emerge from sleep / hibernate. Fans were noisy and constantly running. Happened every few days regardless of what was running, turning on or off. Nothing in particular set off this non-waking condition. 

Yesterday shut down through power button and last night would not start again. I cannot get to the windows start screen no matter what has been tried.

Black HP screen appears "please wait". Nothing ever happens after several minutes or an hour of waiting, except eventual "Preparing automatic repair" which never goes into effect - I only get a blue screen and process loops again and again .

Shut down tried again and AGAIN. "Preparing Automatic  Repair" screen would eventually appear,  but as I said repair never went into effect. 

IMPORTANTLY - On startup, F11 will not bring me to system recovery option -if I press the power key it  just tries to start up and eventually fails  and then loops . The following keys work on power-up  if you press immediately : Escape;  F1 System Info.  F2 System Diagnostics  F9 Boot Device options and F10  BIOS Setup. They  do work on powering up to analyze system and BIOS. 

I tried and I was able to reinstall  the bios by holding the WIndows key and B key upon startup. That accomplished nothing.  After update on startup went into its black screen HP loop. Eventually to blue Stop Code errors (see below).

Tried every type of reset  and none worked.

Turned off and started again hitting esc key . Ran the long full diagnostics overnight. No errors on hard drive or components.

Power on again and after same failures blue stopcode screen appears with Inaccessable Boot Drive Message.

Searched dozens of Microsoft and HP and other forums on how to solve, tried all suggestions nothing worked.  On a  later power up Next blue screen appeared later with  the stopcode  message  Driver.PNP.Watchdog..  

Also I cannot reboot windows with a USB fresh install

I tried first through the official microsoft site. From my other computer I downloaded a fresh install of Windows 10.

When I restarted HP  computer and changed BIOS options so it could read read the new windows 10 version from the clean & properly formatted USB device the laptop  cannot read it and just tries to boot from hard drive (yes the USB is enabled in BIOS options)

Next tried the HP  Cloud Solution (compatible with my computer). Downloaded that from my other computer to ANOTHER clean USB device. After hitting esc on power up laptop asked which boot I wanted to use selected the USB. That failed as well. 

Bottom line - The computer will not read anything that is on the USB for either the Windows 10 or the HP Cloud USB.

No advanced options are available to switch from SATA as some people suggested.  

I don't want to but I would be willing to start with a fresh computer and lose all my files. My last backup was a month ago. But I would really like to retain what is on the hard drive.

Anybody have a solution to get this HP fixed or at least install a fresh version of windows (which I think is one big  problem) and stop the looping so I can get to the windows start screen? Remember I can't get to any screen to see or change  anything except through the limited F1 ,2 9 and 10 function keys. If you are wondering there are no advanced options within those keys.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@SecretlyAmish 

Let's talk first about your recovery options.

Restoring a working OS to the PC is going to erase EVERYTHING on the drive, no matter HOW you do it.  So, if you want to retain anything from the drive, you need to focus your efforts on data recovery for now.  Once you have that done, you can come back and we can address recovery options.

ALL you will be able to retrieve from the drive is personal DATA.  You will not be able retrieve settings or applications.  You will lose those regardless of how the recovery is done.

Your best bet for recovering data now is to do the following:
1) Remove the disk drive from the old PC. If this is a SATA hard drive or a SATA SSD, this is a simple thing to do. If this is an m.2 SSD, that could be either screwed to the motherboard or soldered to the motherboard. If the second, you would need to have a techician remove it for you, or you risk seriously damaging the PC doing it yourself.
2) If you have a desktop PC with a spare hard drive connector, then connect the old drive to that. If the old drive is a SATA drive, connect both the power cable and the data cable. (This adapter is illustrated below) If the old drive is an m.2 SSD, you will need a USB-to-mSATA cable.
USB-Drive-Adapter.jpg
3) Try to retrieve the files and folders you want to save from the old drive and copy them to the new PC.

If this does not work, then you need to do the following:
1) Download and install this utility on a working PC http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/recover_data_in_3_steps_with_minitool_power_data_recovery_free_...
2) Run the data recovery utility to see what can be retrieved from the old drive.

If that tool does not find what you need, an alternative is Recuva http://www.piriform.com/recuva

And, if that does not work well, the best tool out there is this one, but only the demo version is free https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWOOD

Thank you very much for replying and your detailed instructions. I greatly appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

It is a HPPavilion 15cs0064st 156 Intel Core i7855OU 8 GB DDR4 and 16GB Optane 1 TB SATA WIN 10 Home

I'm not a very technically savvy person, (I don't quite know how SATA works or connects)  but I believe I can try the steps you are suggesting as it is very important for me to get the personal data saved from the machine.

Before I do, I'd like to ask based on what I described, do you or does anyone know what the underlying problem is and why the laptop will not advance to the start screen or allow a USB repair? Is it a windows issue or a hard drive issue (or both), BIOS, or something else?

Also, most importantly ---- without opening and removing any of the computer's hardware is there ANY other way that might still be tried to get this machine to start that I have not tried yet?

Thank you again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.