Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy DV7-7242c1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So, after a simple restart, I have a black screen, and the caps lock is blinking - 2 blinks. According to the codes, that's bios corruption. The laptop originally came with Windows 8, and has been updated to Windows 10. The hard drive was replaced with a new SSD last summer (the original one failed) so the original HP recovery partition does not exist.

In looking up the BIOS updates, the last available BIOS update (dated 2016)  file only exists for Windows 8. I have created a USB with the HP Tools utility, but have not run it yet.

My question then - since the machine is no longer running Windows 8, will this BIOS update work correctly and NOT brick my laptop?? 

I need to get this laptop functioning again, I'd rather not buy another laptop if I can get this one back up.  Everything was working just fine before that restart :-/.

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Seriously.. no one has any feedback??

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.