Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy M7 - M1W11UA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.

My M7 won't read an OS on the drive. Neither OS. I did the infamous dual boot of Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.04. I went to turn it on and it gave me the 0F30 error. It won't pick up either OS.

I figured well, lemme just pop my Windows 10 stick and there and boot from that so I can what I need to do (dxdiag for some computer info.) Nope. It won't register that. Came up with the idea to maybe just pop my Windows 7 disk in there. Nope. I went into the BIOS and changed where it chose to boot from, to no effect. Turned off safe boot. Still nothing. But you know what the fishy thing is? It will boot with the Ubuntu USB stick. I was going to maybe just reinstall Ubuntu but it detected the Ubuntu 18.04 already on there. And the other partition that was clearly being used by Windows. Both OS's are installed. Why will the laptop all of the sudden not boot to either, and not even give me the option to boot, but just tell me there is no OS on the drive.

Please help me as I have information I need to get off of here. Countless photos and documents. Just please allow me to get something working. I am trying to sell/trade the laptop off (and I may even have a trade deal set up) but I can't do it with the laptop like this. Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@AlphaWolf294 

If it were my PC, my priority, since there are countless files to be recovered, would be to focus on data recovery for now and worry about the booting issue later.

Problem is, unless you turned off FastStartup in Win10, when Win10 is not running, the volumes are STILL mounted -- as it is a form of hibernation -- and if you boot into Linux and try to access the Win10 drive, that will fail.

Another approach would be to create Windows boot media that would allow you to boot into something like Windows, open a file manager, stick in a USB stick -- and back of the files you (apparently) did not both to back up previously.

What MIGHT work is the following:
1) On a working PC, use this link to download and install a free copy of Macrium Reflect: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
2) Once that is installed, use the option to create a Boot USB stick (Other Tasks --> Create Rescue Media). This creates a bootable USB stick that runs a version of Windows.
3) Boot the PC from that USB stick. To do this, try pressing F9 repeatedly while booting to get a boot drive menu, or press the Esc key repeatedly while booting to get an HP utilities menu, and select the boot menu from that
4) Be patient ... as booting from a USB stick is really, really slow
5) Once in the MR recovery environment, you can then remove the USB stick.
6) Insert a USB stick for holding data and, down at the bottom left of the windows screen are some icons. Select the one on the right to open a form of File Explorer.
7) Use the File Explorer app to locate the files you need and copy them to the USB stick.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

They're documents that I can do without, as I have some on a USB stick somewhere. I would be happy to just get this thing running Windows 10 again so I can rid myself of it.

Can't boot into either OS on the drive. Only from an installation disk/stick.

I will attempt to do this.

For the moment when I got into the "Boot Manager" it shows nothing. I have a stick with Windows 10 on it in a USB port and a disk with Windows 7 on it in the disk drive. It doesn't show anything whatsoever.

It seems doubtful that it'll recognize the MR stick if it won't recognize the W10 stick or W7 disk.

But a mystery still remains. Why will it detect the Linux disk and stick but not the Windows?

And furthermore, why did it do this in the first place? HP not liking the Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.04 dual boot?

HP Recommended

Any other ideas?

HP Recommended

@AlphaWolf294 

If the Win10 install media is GPT, and your PC is using BIOS, not UEFI, then it could have problems seeing that media.

The MR stick would be formatted MBR -- so your PC should then be able to see it.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.