Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 13t-ae000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Update to my original problem.... after all the drama, wasted time, and expense, I discovered that the overheating only occurs if I try to use the PC WHILE it is charging.

I can charge the PC, then unplug it and use it successfully. It does not get hot while charging. It does not get hot while using as long as it isn't plugged in to power. I've been doing this now for 2 months without a problem.

However if I forget to unplug it and power it on, I'll get the overheating within 5 minutes.

One fan is actually NOT running.

When I boot up the PC I still get the error:

Error system fan (90b)

I followed all suggestions with no success. Fans & vents were not dirty, it was absolutely  pristine inside;  updated Bios, did a hard reset, replaced the fans with new ones, etc.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Nomad25 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are getting a 90B error message.

As you have stated that you have already performed troubleshooting steps.

In that case, I would suggest you contact our phone support and check for the support option.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Thanks @Praveen196,

I originally posted a question about this overheating on https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Error-system-fan-90b-after-rep...

That was in early January, about 4 months ago.

The PC is out of warranty. The problem began about 1 month after the warranty ended (even though I had barely used the PC, the warranty countdown does not stop!).

After none of the suggestions for cleaning, update bios, etc. worked, I paid a tech company to attempt to repair the PC. Fans were replaced with no change. The right side fan still does not run, and the left one runs as it did before but is not sufficient to keep the PC from overheating. I installed an app to monitor the temperature and learned that it gets quickly to 100C if it is charging and running any little task at the same time. Unplugged it's about 38C no matter what I do.

I've given up "healing" this PC after reading a multitude of other unresolved reports of overheating on HP laptops.

However I was somewhat happy to discover that if I don't plug it in and use it a the same time, I'm still able to use it without fear of burning it up!

What would happen if I contacted phone support as you suggest? I believe that it would just waste more of my time, but it you think it would solve my problem, I'll try and report back here.

HP Recommended

@Nomad25

I understand your concern and I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to-Post-and-More/How-To-Send-A-Private-Messa...

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

HP Recommended

@Praveen196

Thanks! Waiting for that private message.

HP Recommended

@Praveen196,

So, I contacted HP support. Answer was to check hp.com/support or call a local repair shop.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.