Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Been trying to figure this out for almost two months now and nothing seems to be working. Here is a list of things I've tried doing to solve this out:

• Tried waiting out the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen. Came with a black screen after the loading dots. It sits there for about 15 minutes then shuts off.
  • Tried getting into Safe Mode and still got the black screen.
  • Tried using the Media Creation Tool to install Windows 10 on a USB. Once the laptop detects my USB, it'll pop up a screen with the HP logo with loading dots. After that, a black screen happens
  • Tried enabling/disabling some BIOS settings.

After all those things, I decided to do a Memory Check and a Hard Drive (DST) test. The Memory Check PASSED and only one part of the Hard Drive PASSED while the second part (Smart Check) FAILED. It then gave me a Failure ID and Product ID.

Does this mean I should just replace the Hard Drive of my laptop considering I got those errors?

EDIT: I tried messing with my laptop some more and now it won't turn on since I removed and put back on the battery; which I've done in the past during these few errors..

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

Anytime you get one of those 24 character hard drive short DST or long DST failure ID codes, you have to replace the hard drive and reinstall the operating system.

But I would not put any money into buying a new hard drive until you can at least get the notebook to power up and report the error again.

You may have tinkered with it one too many times.

See if it will turn on with the battery removed and the A/C cord plugged in.

Or try a performing a hard reset of the notebook...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768/

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.