Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Intel Pentium Silver Processor N5000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I believe I got a virus when I downloaded utube to mp3 to save music.  I went for a reset and picked the extensive reset. It went through the process but it has been stuck at 64% for seven days now. 
I clicked on F3 and went through the process of checking the system. All passed except the hard drive. It keeps repeating the test but never completes it or passes like all other sections. I closed these tests and now it went back to “ Installing Windows 10 at 64%. Any help out there

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Anytime. 

Glad to have been of assistance.

Yes, you can press and hold the power button until the notebook shuts down. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if your notebook is supported by the HP cloud recovery tool which you can use to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility...

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Customer Support

If that doesn't work either, you should be able to clean install W10 by making bootable installation media with the media creation tool from the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

After W10 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

HP Recommended

Hello,

thank you for your reply. Before I try your suggestions I was wondering how I could try them if I can’t log in because it’s stuck on installing Windows 10 and is on 64% for a week?  Do I turn off the notebook or is there a way to shut it down and log in?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

You would need to use another Windows PC running Windows 7 64 bit or newer to create either installation media. 

Then you boot from the installation media to reinstall Windows. 

HP Recommended

Thank you Paul. I’ll do that and follow your instructions. I’ll keep you in the loop with my progress. 

HP Recommended

one more question before I begin. Do I completely shut my notebook down with the power button?  

HP Recommended

Anytime. 

Glad to have been of assistance.

Yes, you can press and hold the power button until the notebook shuts down. 

HP Recommended

Good morning, Paul,

Wanted to say thank you for your assistance. I couldn’t open up my flash drive so I was able to get to my settings and initiate a factory reset without saving any files. I even lost my Microsoft 365 I had purchased 4 months ago but all worth it. I didn’t want to take a chance and have a piece of virus remain active. My notebook was successful in resetting and downloaded W10. 

Thank you again. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sorry that you lost your Microsoft Office.

If it didn't come with your PC and you have the product key, you should be able to reinstall it.

Download and install or reinstall Microsoft 365 or Office 2019 on a PC or Mac - Office Support

HP Recommended

Hello,

Does this work as well as utube to mp3?  I’m looking to download music from utube and saving it. 
Thank you for your help. 

Arnold

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.