Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
bs0xx

Hello,

I am Sorry for posting wierd questions. I am just trying to educate myself on a laptop which is less worth as my hourly wage as an IT professional. Its more an emotional issue.

I recently updated my girlfriends laptop BIOS of the 17-bsx000 based platform using the .exe under Windows 10 hoping this will fix a ninor issue.

Now her BElOVeD laptop is GoNe (yes! GOME! GOOOONNNEEE!). Now she has one of my worn (better) Thinkpads, but it not HER BELOVED HP LAPTOP 🤣

Ok, stop laughing now ...

The laptop was totaly fine before the update.
The update result was a 3 long 5 short caps lock blinking error (Code: CPU not found)
I can't recover the notebook by USB flash recovery, Windows+B and Windows+V combination, remove the computers battery, CMOS battery, power button.
I am able to do some advanced stuff and have read+write access to the computers BIOS EEPROM by using an external USB CH381a EPROM programmer and Linux.
I can confirm that the BIOS on the HP Intaller is the same as it was written in the EPROM by comparing the dumped .bin file,

After digging a little deeper I found out that the HP Updater seems to have 3-4 different BIOS images for different versions of the 17-bsx000 platform.
After digging more I found out that there was a Intel micocode update in between to fix some CPU Issues resulting in BIOS update errors at different vendors with this CPU.

I think the Laptops CPU doesn't have this microcode update and is not regognized by the new BIOS version anymore. This will explain the BIOS CPU Error blink after the update. So I think an older BIOS should fix that problem.

I am able to download older BIOS Versions which come in a self extracting archive.
Unfortunately the BIOS files are not in .bin format for the EPROM but in some kind of Installer format which is too big for the EPROM.
Only the newest version of the BIOS installer writes correct installer .bin to the hard drive but not the older versions.

QUESTIONs:
How do I find out the platform of the notebook when I don't have software access to it?
How do I convert these files into the .bin format for flashing them directly into the EPROM?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Look into this page: HP Notebook PCs - Recovering the BIOS (Basic Input Output System) | HP® Customer Support

and go to where it says "Recover the BIOS using a key press combination."

If that does not work, try to recover it with a flash drive by making a recovery USB with an older BIOS revision.

HP Recommended

As I wrote, I tried that before. 

And now I am asking advanced questions 🙂

Recovery does not work as the CPU is not detected anymore which is needed for USB recovery as the CPU has a builtin USB controller.  CPU is solderd to the mainboard and worked before the update.

In short I need just an older 8MB image file which I can flash driectly into the EPROM chip with an external programmer.

But HP has only bigger image files with additional data for thier flash software which only can flash the EPROM under Windows. Only the newest,  not working, BIOS update has a compatible 8MB Image .bin file for an external programmer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.