Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Do you have any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

Hi

Unfortunately I would wipe them all, but I can recover from any faux Pas I might make.

But it is not something I dare to recommend.

W10  1803 for instance on a clean install only uses 2 partitions, a boot area and a C:

We are reaching the point where I dare not suggest any radical procedure.

Sorry.

HP Recommended

Obviously, I am very sad. Is there anyway that I can connect the hard drive that won't boot to another laptop's drive and at least move my data to another device? I have really appreciated your help!

HP Recommended

Hi

LubGparted.png

Well I made a DVD and booted from it (Lubuntu 19:04), it automatically mounted the C: Windows drive, I plugged in a USB stick and .....

https://lubuntu.net/downloads/    the icons are at the bottom of the screen and should be discernable.

HP Recommended

Once again, I will need to go to a friend's pc to do this. Thank you so very much for pointing me in this direction. I will respond in a few days!! 

HP Recommended

I was able to create the Lubuntu file. I tried to boot off of it but was not successful.  So, I put the Windows ISO USB back into the drive and was able to get to the Windows screen where I was able to do some troubleshooting, which I was not able to do before.   After a few minutes, I was back to my normal screen.  I have no idea what happened!  I quickly backed up all of my important files.  I played around with some settings to make sure that Windows did not update again, such as the Windows update assistant. However, the laptop rebooted and informed me that it was updating. I held my breath (it took hours) and I am now at version 1903 build 18362.476. So, I appreciate all of your help, you've pointed me in the right direction, and this whole nightmare has gone away.  The only thing I need to do now is to figure out why this new version of windows is so darn slow!

HP Recommended

Prego.

Sorta Sorted.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.