Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteBook 840G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Fan continues to run after shutdown; it causes the unit to get hot.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Did you by any chance get Microsoft update  KB4023057 just before this problem started?

I got KB4023057 update installed on 4 May and have been unable to shutdown my Zbook 15-2 since then. 

I suspect that KB4023057 may alter either the BIOS or Intel Management Engine (IME), in a way that is not compatible with some HP BIOS. 

I solved the overheating problem by making a bootable Ubuntu DVD and booting "live Ubuntu" which supposedly makes no changes to your Windows configuration. All I did in Ubuntu was Shutdown. The fan kept going, but now it just blows cool air the overheating was gone. 

Now when I shutdown in Windows the fan still turns on full blast (and WIFI & speaker button lights are on) but there is no overheating. So I think that booting Ubuntu may have fixed something in either the BIOS or IME at least to stop the overheating in shutdown.

The only way I can stop the fan after shutdown is to remove both the battery and power cable. This is the only way to stop IME which is probably causing the fan problem. As soon as I reconnect either battery or power cable it starts a reboot.

KB4023057

KB4023057

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.