Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 15-f024wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

It appears that you have a mislabeled file in the download section of your site.  I tried to update the BIOS, but got diagnostics instead.

The diagnostics, by the way, were helpful.  Turns out both my memory and my hard drive are OK.  So, I'm glad I ran the software.

However, there is no menu option in this software for updating the BIOS (or updating any  other software for that matter.)  This particular download (f92739.exe) is entirely mislabled.  As you can see from the below copy and paste from your website, this download is supposed to be BIOS Version F.42.Rev.A.  It is nothing of the kind.  It is strictly a diagnostics tool for checking and verifying RAM and the hard drive and nothing else,  There are no other menu choices and no choices related to the BIOS.  I booted this from a USB flash drive I created with f92739.exe  on board and this was the result.

I suspect that this is a simple error of mistaking one file for another.  Try downloading the below BIOS version and you will see what I mean.

My laptop that I"m trying to apply this BIOS update to is an HP 15-f024wm that I bought at Walmart in June of 2015.  I'm trying to update the BIOS because the laptop randomly freezes from time to time and I'm not sure why.  Everything freezes -- the mouse pointer, the time of day, everything.  I have to hold down the power button for 5 seconds, or however long, to turn the machine off.

Thanks!

Ed Abbott

Type:

BIOS

Version:

F.42 Rev.A

Operating systems:

Windows 10 (64-bit)

Release date:

Nov 28, 2018

File name:

sp92739.exe

(25.2 MB)

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@EdAbbott Welcome to HP Community!

I have sent out a feedback to get that corrected on the HP website, I thank you for reporting the same as it does seem to be incorrectly named, although, I suggest you try installing the HP Support Assistant and check if it allows you to install the BIOS update, that said, as for the issue with the device freezing and you having to restart it, I needed to know if you get any error messages before it freezes? if not, please try the below steps:

Step 1: Disable the automatic restart option to view error messages

Errors might occur but not display with Automatic restart enabled. Disable this option to allow the computer to display error messages instead of restarting.

1. In Windows, search for and open View advanced system settings.

2. Click Settings in the Startup and Recovery section.

3. Remove the check mark next to Automatically restart, and then click OK.

Location of the Automatically restart check box

4. Restart the computer.

The computer no longer restarts automatically when a problem occurs. Instead, a blue screen displays with useful information. You can search for a resolution using the information in the error.

Step 2: Check for failed hardware

Hardware problems can cause unexpected results. Go to Testing for Hardware Failures for more information.

NOTE: 

Increased heat inside the computer can cause hardware failures. Go to HP Notebook PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the Laptop to Prevent Overheating (notebook computers) or HP Desktop PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the Computer to Prevent Overheating (desktop computers) for more information.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE & SKIP TO STEP 3 ONWARD

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Will try tomorrow.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@EdAbbott Alright, keep us posted! 😉

And good luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Riddle_Decipher,

Thanks so much for your support.

Looks like the file has not changed at all.  Here's the md5sum information:

[Path] / filename MD5 sum
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[C:\Users\websi\Downloads\]
sp92739.exe d4aaa4ed881aa412f7ab3bfa0df990f0

I've downloaded this file on 4 different occasions, including once today, and the md5sum remains the same.  No changes across these 4 files (which are all the same file with the same md5sum).

Since the file labeled sp92739.exe has no BIOS option in its menu,  I will not be using this file to install an updated BIOS.  Note, again, this file is the only BIOS you offer on your website when I type in my serial number on the back of my HP 15-f024wm.  So, nothing has changed since I first posted.

Thanks, though, for keeping up with all of this.  I appreciate your concern.  I was out of town and I did not have the opportunity to work on this problem as I did not have my HP 15-f024wm with me.

Thanks again!

Ed Abbott

HP Recommended

@EdAbbott I haven't received any updates from the R&D team about updating the website, and that may take time, meanwhile, I suggest you provide the results of the test I had suggested and also, try disabling the startup items using the below steps:

Step 1 Right-click on an empty area on the Taskbar and select Task Manager.

Open Task Manager Windows 10

Step 2 When Task Manager comes up, click the Startup tab and look through the list of programs that are enabled to run during startup. Then to stop them from running, right-click the program and select Disable.

Task Manager

Notice in this version, you have other options to help you get a better idea of what each app does before disabling it.

After a time, we end up installing so many programs that we forget what they’re for. But it allows you to open an app’s file location, properties, or if that doesn’t help, you can search for it online.

The same can cause conflicts and if you have an app you don't remember installing, please disable it and check if this resolves the issue.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.