Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen laptop 17t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have installed a Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 1TB SSD on my Omen laptop. Install and cloning went well. Disconnected the HDD and booted from the SSD - all good. Reconnected the HDD; now I must always press F9- UEFI- and select the SSD; if not it will boot from the HDD. The ultimate solution is to wipe my HDD, but is there a way to force the machine to boot from the SSD with the current configuration? I'm kind of hesitant to delete the Windows-partition on my HDD until I trust the SSD completely ... I even renamed the partition to something other than Windows but that didn't make any difference.

Not much you can do in the BIOS of this machine and I have not found a way to make the SSD primary instead of the HDD.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@todden 

Looks like when both the SSD and HDD are connected, the UEFI settings are forcing the SSD to be device One, and the HDD to be device Zero.

You need to go into Settings and look for the option to order the devices so that the SSD is listed before the HDD.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@todden 

Looks like when both the SSD and HDD are connected, the UEFI settings are forcing the SSD to be device One, and the HDD to be device Zero.

You need to go into Settings and look for the option to order the devices so that the SSD is listed before the HDD.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Problem solved!

It is amazing when somebody points out the solution you pay more attention ... I have gone through the BIOS setup 10's of times, including in the UEFI boot setting, without finding the setting that works. I used arrow keys up and down, pressed F10, nothing helped to changed the order.

IMG_1388.jpg

Turns out pressing F5/F6 changes the order in the menu, and once I moved the SSD to the top, it boots from it every time!

So thank you to WAWood for pointing me in the right direction!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.