Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 8460p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop ( HP EliteBook 8460p ) uses only 3GB ram out of 8GB (2x4GB)

I was told to update my BIOS so that windows 10 x64 could use all 8GB of RAM.

However, I cannot do so, because I have set a password to the bios a few years back and I have forgotten that password.

I tried the following but nothing worked:

1- Shut down then Startup while holding (START button + B key) = Black screen + super noisy fan

2- Shut down then Startup while holding (START button + V key) = Nothing happens (normal boot)
3- HP Sparekey Recovery ( F7 ) - ERR = ( not enrolled )

4- Installed the following:
     a- SP110939.exe = HP Support Assistant

b- SP101995.exe = System Software Manager

c- SP107705.exe = BiosConfigUtility

d- SP85528.exe = HPQFlash

Tried different times the option to create a USB flash drive to update BIOS on another HP pc.

ERR = Required HP UEFI BIOS Update utilities are not available in source or destination folder

5- Cannot find any BIOS, FIRMWARE, etc.... in the Device Manager to update

*** I have tried many other solutions, but most of them seem unrelated or not worth mentioning here.

Short description:

- I need to reset my BIOS password in order to update the BIOS.

OR
- Make my laptop use all the RAM installed and keep the old BIOS.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Mikhaeil 

You are no longer going to be able to reset the BIOS password on your own.  HP used to distribute files you could use to do that, but they have stopped doing that.  In addition, HP does not do BIOS password resets.

For BIOS or power-on password resets, because the password is encoded onto a chip on the motherboard, replacement of that motherboard is required. HP does not reset the BIOS password on the current motherboard.

If you are not prepared to spend the money to get HP to replace the motherboard, you would have to take the PC to a local repair facility to see if they can do it for you -- but we can not assist in that in any way.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.