Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp mini 110 1046NR
Microsoft Windows XP

I inheireted this HP mini 110 1046NR from my grandmother that passed away. Unfortunately my kids tried getting passed the user account login too many times to no avail and now when i power it on it goes directly to a black screen and asks for the current password... after too many incorrect entries it says this

fatal error system halted CNU9376BKK

can anyone help???? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Enter   e9lofxgpss     ( 3rd character is a lower case L )

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi,

Enter   e9lofxgpss     ( 3rd character is a lower case L )

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thank you!! One more question... now it says reboot and selecgt proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key what do i do?

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome :generic:

First of all, remove the requirement for a power on password as follows.

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at the esc key as soon as you press the power button to access the Start-up menu and then select f10 to enter the Bios menu.  Use the arrow keys to highlight the Security tab and hit enter.  Use the arrow keys again to highlight power on password and hit enter.  Enter the current password ( use the code in my previous post ) and then for the new password, just leave this blank and hit enter - do the same for the confirmation field.  Press f10, select to save the new settings and hit enter.

When done, run a diagnostic on the hard drive as follows.

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to enter the Start-up Menu.  Select the Bios option ( f10 ) and under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run tests on the Hard Drive.

Post back with the details of any error messages.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

whoah.... something went wrong. I'm back at the black screen asking for the current passoword and now the one you gave me "e9lofgpss" is not working...

i don't know what i did wrong...

HP Recommended

Oh! I was forgetting the "x".... oops!

HP Recommended

Okay... i can't seem to get to the start up menu.... I tap away at esc as soon as i slide the power switch over and eventually a screen pops up that says

"F9: (it flashes too quickly to see what the option here is) 

F10: (again it flashes so quick i can't tell exactly what is says one option is for the start up/BIOS menu... i think it's this one)"

But this screen merely flashes on then quickly goes to another screen with white writing that also flashes too quickly for me to read what it says and then after both screens flash on and then off again I'm taken right back to the black screen with white writing that says

Enter CURRENT Password:

So again I enter e9lofxgpss and i'm taken back to the black screen with white writing that reads

Reboot and Select proper Boot device

or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key_

I seem to be stuck in a loop here....

HP Recommended

Hi,

My guess would be that there's a problem with the hard drive and that it may need to be replaced - a failing drive can also cause the spontaneous appearance of a power on password.

It may be worth trying the following.

Shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold  down the Power button for 30 seconds.  Plug in the AC Adapter ( leave the battery out for the moment ), start the notebook, entering the code again and see if this still results in the boot error.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Okay! That did the trick... I got to the BIOS menu and uninstalled the power on password successfully. However I think you are right about the hard drive because I went to do the diagnostic test like you suggested and for some reason that option isn't highlighted. The option to run a memory test is available but the hard drive diagnostic test isn't. 

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for all your help!!! You've been extremely helpful and patient and it is greatly appreciated.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.