Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I am unhappy to report the reinstallation of Windows did not make a difference.  At first I was excited to finally have this resolved but, alas, when I shutdown the computer for the night, it did not fully shutdown and I had to hold the power button down until all the lights went off.  This morning I added a new user and tested and was hopeful as forcing the computer to sleep or off appeared to be working.  The final test was to have the computer cycle off due to inactivity.  It failed.  I am back where I started.

I kept my files when reinstalling Windows.  Should I reinstall using the web?  Delete all my personal files?  or is something physically broken?

Thank you again for all your help.

HP Recommended

@teuc I suggest you make use of the HP Recovery partition (F11), If you don't have an HP Recovery partition or F11 doesn't work, you may need to get the recovery media: Click here for steps Or you may also attempt to download the same using the steps on this link: click here

For details on how to perform a successful reset: click here (Data will be lost, ensure you create a backup before proceeding)

Keep me posted.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Riddle_Decipher:  I finally had everything ready to perform your recommended next steps and took the plunge...as you might guess, you are taking me into foriegn territory.

I booted the computer with the recovery media I created using the noted steps.  The computer chugged along, ticking off the percentage complete until about 55% complete and then it indicated something happened and it could not continue.  The screen message noted nothing was changed but it had.  I can not boot the computer without the recovery USB in place and it always returns me to the same recover screen.  I tried the reset again an the same happened.  Do you have any advice?

signed "discouraged"

HP Recommended

@teuc

Thanks for keeping us posted

Please run a System Test to confirm the Hardware Functionality

- Shut down the Notebook completely
- Turn it back on, then tap the Esc key repeatedly until the Startup menu screen is displayed.
- Press F2 to select System Diagnostics.
- Click System Tests, then click Extensive Test.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I performed the extensive diagnositic tests and all came back as "passed"  

HP Recommended

@teuc

Thank you for keeping us posted

Since you already tried a Recovery which didn't work, I suggest you contact HP Support in your Region for Service Options

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ 
2) Select your product type below.
3) Enter the serial of your device. 
4) Select the country from the drop-down. 
5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 
6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.