cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Oaknshield
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

HP 15-ef0023dx display freezes on startup

HP Recommended
Hp 15 -ef0023dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP 15-ef0023dx display freezes on startup. Black screen with HP logo.. 

Rebooting sometimes work or pressing F10 to go Bios then exit -- works    = but not all the time 

same issue here in other post but i coundt find the reply button to reply 

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/HP-15-ef0023dx-display-freezes-on-startup/td-...

Anyone has this same isue , im hoping to solve this  

5 REPLIES 5
Oaknshield
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi 
I ran the HP diagnostics by pressing the ESC key right after pressing the power button -- all systems passed 

THis HP came with 12GB of RAM , 1- 8GB and 1- 4GB stick  , I took out 1 stick of RAM and the laptop seems to boot fine.

I thought maybe 1 stick was bad however i switched both sticks and both are working ok 
I left in the 8GB stick only and so far the laptop seems to boot normally  . 

I will leave in just the 8GB and test it . If this works ill just run the lapttop on 8GB for now

The machine did do a BIOS update recently, im  not sure if the update is not reading the 2 sticks of RAM properly .
Anyway it is booting ok for now 

1 person found this reply helpful
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Oaknshield
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

ok

1 week running laptop with only 1 8Gb stick of RAM and machine hasnt freeze or have boot problems so far 

Oaknshield
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

3 weeks running laptop with only 1 stick 8 GB --  no issues so far 

not sure if this is a solution - or just a qucik fix . . . 

danbu
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a 15-ef0023dx with the exact same behavior.  System will freeze on pretty much every reboot but if you shutdown it freezes some times.  Boot with 4 GB stick in the right slot system is fine, booting with the 8 GB stick in the same slot is fine.  Issue is with both sticks installed.  I did notice on stick is Samsung 4GB (M471A5244CB0-CTD) and the other is Kingston 8 GB (HP26D4S9S8HJ-8)

danbu
2 2 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So I just realize the RAM is wrong the system spec from HP says (HP Laptop - 15-ef0023dx Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support) 2400 ram these sticks are 2666 and are original to the system.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation