cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
criptik
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

HP 17z-cp000 can secure boot be disabled?

HP Recommended
HP 17z-cp000

I am considering the purchase of a HP 17z-cp000 laptop.  I would like to install and boot a Linux OS on this laptop.  Can Secure Boot be disabled on this laptop if necessary?

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
34,852 24,531 3,148 7,861
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@criptik 

You need more than to disable Secure Boot; you need to enable Legacy Boot -- and the newer laptops no longer permit this to be done -- in order to make them more "secure".

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
criptik
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So no newer HP laptop can be configured to boot Linux, is that correct?  Can they be ordered with a Linux distro already installed?

WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
34,852 24,531 3,148 7,861
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@criptik 

Not ALL new laptops force Secure Boot and UEFI Boor -- but those that do will not install Linux distros.

I have no idea what HP offers on the different models -- since we have no interface with Sales.  You would have to contact HP to find out what they have available.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
criptik
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I confess I do not understand all the issues regarding secure boot, but I have seen articles that claim that Ubuntu can be installed if secure boot can be disabled.  If so, why is it necessary to have support for legacy boot?

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation