Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G8
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just got some new Elitebook 840 G8 laptops and I am in the process of getting them set up.  I am noticing that I have to press and hold the power button on the keyboard for about 15 seconds before the laptops will start up.  Is this normal or am I missing some BIOS setting to change this behavior?  I did see the setting "Power button delay to avoid accidental activation for system sleep or power down" and tried setting that to disabled but that didn't fix the power on issue and it definitely needs to be turned on to prevent the user from accidently hitting the key and shutting down the laptop. 

I know that I am going to get a bunch of complaints from my users that they have to hold down the power key for so long to turn on their laptops.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Just an update in case it will help anyone else.  After doing some investigation I found out that the BIOS version on the shipping laptops is newer (v01.04.02) than the available BIOS version on the support page (v01.04.01).  So, I built my image using an older version of the BIOS than what the laptops came with and that is causing the issue.  I verified by imaging another laptop without doing the BIOS "update" part of my process and the power button works fine.  So, now I am trying to work with support to get the BIOS update file for the 01.04.02 version so I can get my laptops back to the shipping version to fix my issue.

HP Recommended

Hi Asjhw,

We have the same problem on one of our computers. I think the user has updated the bios and this problem has occurred. Unfortunately, when I want to downgrade the bios, I cannot find the 01.04.02 version. If you have the link, can you share it with me ? Or do you have any other suggestions for a solution?

System Model HP EliteBook 840 G8 Notebook PC
BIOS Version/Date HP T76 Ver. 01.01.04, 2.12.2020
Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042 Enterprise

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.