Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook 8760w

Hello community,

This is my first post on forum, and I hope will not be the last 🙂

I have a problem with reset of BIOS password on my HP Elitebook Mobile Workstation 8760w.

Issue is that I bought this laptop few months ago, and it had preinstalled OS, so I didn't need to change anything on it. I just started using it. HDD was encrypted by Bitlocker.

Few days ago it requested from me to insert Bitlocker recovery key, without option to avoid recovery key and insert just PIN.. I couldn't find recovery file, and I decided to reinstall OS because I have all files in OneDrive.

When I tried to access BIOS menu to allow boot from USB, it requested to insert BIOS password, which I didn't know that is set at all..

Search for solution, and find out that there is key combination to reset it by pressing "Windows Key + Arrow UP Key + Arrow Down Key" at same time, and turn on the system. When HP logo is shown, I had to release these keys, and press F10, and in menu choose "Reset BIOS security to Default".

When I tried this it requested from me to insert Bitlocker Recovery key before I can proceed with further steps..

I was thinking that removing HDD from motherboard, and unplug of CMOS battery from board for few minutes (I tried few hours) will reset everything to factory settings, and that I will be able to setup BIOS settings from scratch, but after these steps, when I turned on laptop, I noticed it did some reset of settings, but BIOS password didn't disappear.. It was still there.

It's first time in my life that removing CMOS battery didn't restart BIOS password, and I did it "thousand" times in my life before this 🙂

Also I tired to insert bootable USB drive, and access to Boot Menu, but there wasn't option to boot from any device..

My question is what is trick with this, and how to remove BIOS password from it ?

I check also for HP SpareKey Recovery, but it says it's not enrolled.

Laptop is HP Elitebook 8760w Mobile Workstation, PN: LG670EA

Thank to all who give some useful advice 🙂

Semir

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

According to the Community's Rules of Participation:

4d. No posts shall include instructions or directions intended to bypass or subvert security measures, including passwords, locking mechanisms, fingerprint scans, etc., or to bypass any safety measures.

Therefore, this topic is being locked. If you would like help resetting the password on your product, please Contact HP support in your region. 

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.