Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15 ah150sa
Linux

I've tried so many different version and I can't get anything to work.

Have of the distributions can't I even get into the installer, the other half install perfectly fine and then do not boot.
I get past grub and get stuck on a black screen, where I can't even access the terminal to attempt fixing it.

I bought this laptop for development and it won't even load a decent OS, and the supplying shop won't take it back as apparently not being able to boot an OS isn't a fault, if it's not the OS it came with. They also won't take it back under the reason of me simply changing my mind despite my offer to buy a better laptop from there store.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Not too many stores would take a different view. Nobody cares about whether Linux will run on your laptop, and HP certainly makes no express or implied warranty about that. It will run the OS delivered on it is all they have legally promised you. Been running Linux on laptops for nearly 20 years so used to the discrimination against the minority. 

I am a little surprised that Linux will not run on an AMD platform, its usually the newest Intels that give the problems. 

Take a look here:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2336046

Did you try installing in Legacy Mode rather than UEFI/Secure boot?

Did you try a nomodeset switch on the installer? 

If all else fails you can run Linux in a virtual machine within Windows. 

HP Recommended
Firstly my BIOS sucks to the point where I can't explicitly choose to do a UEFI/BIOS boot, it appears to be defaulting to UEFI.

Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS 64bit.
Installs fine, boot stuck on black screen, nomodeset boot stuck on black screen.

Mint 18.??.?? Cinnamon 64bit.
Installs fine, boot stuck on wall of text, nomodeset boot stuck on black screen.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.