Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Well this morning I opened my laptop and I got a blue notification that the boot device failed. It then started up. This was really weird as I never shut it down, I only sleeped it. But now the laptop shuts down whenever I put my laptop to sleep or close the lid, showing the blue notification sometimes to that says boot device failed. I'm paranoid, as now it just restarted when installing an update because of this. Help me please.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Unfortunately, the laptop is no longer in warranty. When purchased, I had bought 2 of these exact models and gave one to my brother. His computer has stopped working this year as well, and repair shops report a motherboard issue. Is there something wrong with this model? I'll contact support this evening.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Also quite concerned that there hasn't been a single update in about 6 months from the update assistant, despite its successful check. Could this be a problem?

HP Recommended
I need help somebody?
HP Recommended

Greetings @MichaelHp

Thanks for the post.

I understand that you are getting a message on your computer that says boot device has failed. 

Not to worry, I will be glad to help you. 

May I know the exact product number of your computer? Click here for assistance. Please do not share the serial number of your computer. 

Kudos to you for checking HP Support Assistant for updates.

Recommend you run an extensive system test on your computer to make sure all the components are working correctly. Click here for assistance. 

Boot device failed message comes up if the hard drive has gone bad or is about to fail. 

Recommend you backup all the data on your computer. 

If the tests fail, please contact our phone support for the service options available for your computer. 

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Product name:HP ENVY x360 m6 Convertible
Product number:M1V65UA#ABA
Serial number:XXXXXXXXXX - covered as you said.
BIOS:F.23-08/12/2016
Keyboard revision:84.31
Total memory:8.00 GB
Processor name:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz

What's the best way to back up the files? File History via Windows?

I'll run the extensive test and report back the results ASAP.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, to back up your data, you can use an external HDD and manually copy and paste the data stored on your computer. Please do refer to this HP Article for assistance in backing up your data. 

Let me know if this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Ok! After a extensive system test, everything passed and the final result was passed. Unfortunately, the problem with the computer shutting down on sleep is still evident.
HP Recommended
Getting a bit worried. I managed to get the computer to go to sleep and wake correctly once last night but when I opened it this morning it had shut down again. Keeps shutting down at this moment. Really inconvenient.
HP Recommended

@MichaelHp

It looks like you were interacting with @Chimney_83, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm at your service. 

I've reviewed your post and don't worry, we should be able to figure this one out, with patience 😉

Considering the hardware tests have passed and yet the issue persists, this only goes to show that the sectors within the drive aren't damaged however, there's either an insufficient power consumption or a failure within the motherboard causing the issue.

I personally recommend you connect your HDD to an alternate computer and have all your data safely transferred to a working computer and then if the HDD crashes on the other computer as well or if the backup is safe on the other computer but the HP computer continues to crash/shutdown as it is, please test the motherboard for hardware failures by Contacting HP and setting up a hardware repair/replacement service:

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Unfortunately, the laptop is no longer in warranty. When purchased, I had bought 2 of these exact models and gave one to my brother. His computer has stopped working this year as well, and repair shops report a motherboard issue. Is there something wrong with this model? I'll contact support this evening.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.