Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy dv6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Recently my computer crashed and said it had to restart to fix a problem. After it restarted it tried to go into repair mode but now it gets stuck either trying to repair or at the HP loading screen.

I ran some tests using the UEFI BIOS program and it said there was an error with the hard drive. Prior to this I was attempting to backup an iPhone on iTunes. The failure code from UEFI is 9gc72m-6j489x-qfpjw1-60tl03

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Anthony,

You're welcome :generic:

It's fairly inexpensive to replace the HDD.

The drive on the link below is an example of one that would be fine for your notebook.

750Gb Notebook Hard Drive.

The procedure to replace the Hard Drive starts on Page 66 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Regarding reinstalling the operating system on the new drive, as the machine has been previously upgraded to 10, a hardware profile ( Digital Entitlement ) will have been recorded by the activation servers.

As long as the previous installation of Windows 10 had activated Ok after the upgrade, you can just create your own installation media and perform a clean installation of Windows 10 as detailed in the guide on the following link.  Note: At the activation screen, select 'I don't have a Product key' - Windows will activate automatically once the installation has completed.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

As far as retrieving your files from the failed drive is concerned, one option would be to place it in an external caddy - an example is on the link below - connect this to another PC and see if you can access your files.

External HDD Caddy 2.5".

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

The 24 character error code is a failure of the short Disk Self Test ( DST ) and would indicate that the Hard Drive is failing and needs to be replaced.  This is also consistent with the boot issues you describe.

If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP and arrange to have the drive replaced - If needed, you can check your warranty status Here.

You can contact HP starting on the link below.

http://welcome.hp.com/country/w1/en/contact_us.html

If you are out of warranty and would like a guide on replacing the Hard Drive yourself, please let me know - include the full Model No. and Product No. of your dv6 series notebook - see Here for a further explanation.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hey DP-K thanks for your reply.
My laptop is out of warranty so the guide would be most extremely helpful.

Notebook model is : HP ENVY dv6 Notebook PC
Product number: C2M11UA#ABA
Serial number: [personal information removed]

I was planning on buying a new computer in the next year, so if it is costly to replace I might forgo, however I still have some pictures and files I didn't backup. Is it possible to get access to those as well?

Once again thanks for your help!

Anthony

HP Recommended

Hi Anthony,

You're welcome :generic:

It's fairly inexpensive to replace the HDD.

The drive on the link below is an example of one that would be fine for your notebook.

750Gb Notebook Hard Drive.

The procedure to replace the Hard Drive starts on Page 66 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Regarding reinstalling the operating system on the new drive, as the machine has been previously upgraded to 10, a hardware profile ( Digital Entitlement ) will have been recorded by the activation servers.

As long as the previous installation of Windows 10 had activated Ok after the upgrade, you can just create your own installation media and perform a clean installation of Windows 10 as detailed in the guide on the following link.  Note: At the activation screen, select 'I don't have a Product key' - Windows will activate automatically once the installation has completed.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

As far as retrieving your files from the failed drive is concerned, one option would be to place it in an external caddy - an example is on the link below - connect this to another PC and see if you can access your files.

External HDD Caddy 2.5".

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
DP-K

Ok, I will check these out. Thank you so much for providing such detailed feedback! It's really appreciated.

Thanks again!

Anthony
HP Recommended

Hi Anthony,

You're more than welcome :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.