Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hi zt123

I've been reading your thread as I have the same problem as you and I wondered if you ever managed to resolve the problem?

The computer wil frequently freeze in several hours to one or two days. No response to key board, touch pad or mouse. alt-control-delete doesn't work.

Thanks

Mark

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@ScubaMarky

Welcome to the HP Forums, this is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that your HP Envy notebook freezes. I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

However, I will need a few details to provide an accurate solution,

• When did this issue start?
  • Did you do any hardware or software changes?
  • Which version of windows operating system is installed on the computer?

Meanwhile

First, let's start with performing a hard reset on the PC to release any excessive static/power that could have caused the issue. 

  

Turn off the computer. 

Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers. 

Unplug the AC adapter from the computer. 

Press and hold down the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors that protect the memory. 

Press the Power button to turn on the computer. 

If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally, and then press the Enter key. 

  

Second, you can check if there is Bios update available for your PC, here is the link to download. 

  

Performing a test on the Hard drive as well as on the Memory from the Hardware diagnostics:  
1) Shutdown the computer.  
2) Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears.  
3) Press F2 once for System Diagnostics.  
4) Go to Component test.  
5) Run extensive Memory and Hard Drive test.   

Depending on the test results, If the test passes then I would suggest you perform a complete system recovery.  

Note: Recovery will wipe off everything from the computer. If you have anything important get in touch with some local stores to get your data backed up. 

  

Click here to know: How to perform each step. 

  

For more details, you can try these documents as well. 

  

Computer Is Slow (Windows 10) 

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Sandytech20

Thanks for your response but I have already tried everything you suggested, with the exception of wiping the computer clean. For your info, the problem started many months ago and I am not aware of any software/hardware install about that time, although I have noted that an automatic update of the touchpad drivers seems to have taken place around the time the problem started, but I cannot say whether this has anything to do with  the issue.

It is clear that this is a systematic problem with HP computers as there are plenty of posts regarding this exact same problem and I've yet to see anyone actually resolve the problem. Others have wiped their computers clean without success hence I do not intend to waste my time with that. As with many of those who have gone before me I will probably have to buy a new laptop, and clearly it will not be an HP.

Regards

Mark

HP Recommended

I have finally found a solution after endless experimenting with other suggestions.  With this solution I have now had no freezing for over seven days of routine use and experienced no performance issues as a result of applying the fix. Prior to this I had at least two and often four or more instances where I was forced to power down the laptop to get back to work.

The problem turns out to be something called "FLOW" that was included with the Conexant sound audio driver package with HP computers. Once you disable it, of course, it will start itself up again so each time you boot up you have to go into the Details page of Task Manager after stopping FLOW and stop the two "CTX" - related processes that restart it automatically.  Doing that has had no affect on audio performance. 

Obviously this is something you have to keep on top of in the world of Windows restarting itself after updates, but at least if I remember to do it I don't have to worry about being in the middle of something important and the system making itself unusable at completely random intervals.

Why HP allows this to go on is unimaginable.

HP Recommended

I am sorry, I did not catch the date of your post, but I have an unenvious Envy, that is, at it appears, brand new, and junk. It does similar to what yours did. But, mine has never made it to the start up screen more than 3 times, and if it did, it froze and shut down, so no use anyhow. Now, I cannot get it to DO anything, because of the freezing. No BIOS USB fix, it freezes, no recovery this or that, it shuts down & or freezes. I've always been die hard HP, until now. I paid $1600 for this brick, and it's OOW because I bought this on a one day sale, and stored it, in the unopened box for 1 year+.  Sux to be me, I know, but new is new, regardless. 

Let me know if yours still works please, thanks. 

HP Recommended

Hi @Jenslife

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It sounds like your issue is very different to mine, so good luck getting it sorted. And no, mine still doesn't work, it still locks on a daily basis. However I have given up on HP. This issue, depite being very common amongst many of their users, they don't seem to be willing (or able) to do anything about it. Hence I have now moved over to Dell and happy to report that I have never had a single lock.

HP Recommended

Oh boy. Well, I think I am on the "jump ship" list too now. I cannot have this. Thank you for responding. I will be heading to Dell, after 25+ years of HP. 

HP Recommended

Oddly enough, my system stopped locking up a few months ago when I started disabling the "Flow" process manually via the Task Manager and deleting the two services that restart it automatically.  If you Google search "disable Flow process" you'll find the detailed instructions. You have to redo it every time your system restarts.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.