Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Folio 9470m
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

So here is the situation, I have a HP Folio 9470m, and well its about as reliable as a Inkjet printer when you have to print something last minute. 

When you try to power on the device it flashes its lights for a second and then turns off.  i was going to write all od the lights that turn on exactly when it fails to boot but after about 20 times of me trying to turn it on and it failing every single time I decided to write this. Now I tired to turn it on and it turned on! FML

Regardless I think it wont turn on in an hour or whenever i need the thing. 

What i have done,

Swapped out the RAM(tried a single stick etc etc), new CMOS battery, fresh thermal paste, cleaned out the laptop of all dust( it was not dusty (like at all as i take care of my laptops) swapped out the mainboard, brand new power adapter, and that is about it. 

What i tried to do and failed so I needed to get a new motherboard, I tried to update the bios thinking it may be some weird glitch... well the computer decided to go into its weird state where it doesnt do anything and corrupted everything on the computer. Finally i got the computer to think it was doing the bios update but at that point I felt hopeless because the HP tech support is about as knowledgeable as my grandmother(god rest her soul). My question was not complicated and at the time I only had access to my sisters Apple computer so i was not able to figure out the answer myself. FYI the queston is where are the BIOS files stored when the HP is looking to update the BIOS from the hard drive. I figured if i were to load the bios files onto the hard drive in the directory where it was supposed to be looking for them the board may be saved, w.e. got a new board. at this point the computer was not in use for about a month, got the new board in and it worked...... but not for very long before you know it the same exact problem!!!!! the computer will boot only when it decides it want to boot. 

has anyone ever had this issue, how did they fix the issue. IS it a simple fix like throwing it out of my window on the 20th story and going downstairs to a working computer. I feel like that is one of the few things i have not tried. 

Please any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated. Also if HP has a department in the united states that is somewhat knowledgeable and knows how to go off script and could help a brother out it would be greatly appreciated. 

LAstly the weirdest thing to me is the computer decides not to start no matter what you do, i.e. pull the plug, remove battery, pull the CMOS battery out, hold down the power button, and you can have the computer without any power for a day put it all back together and sometimes it still does not boot. then there are times where the computer seems to be working perfectly restarts, starts bakc up etc etc.... this usually ends with me steppig out of the house for anything over 30 minutes and coming back to a computer that will not turn on. FFS i even tried having the computer never go to sleep to see if that fixes it, it doesnt. 

Computer info:

So the computer has been ideling for about 20 mins now and it seems to have CPU temps at around 38-39 C on the package.  the CPU voltage is sitting around .846

Stress test info:

Stress test time; 10 minutes

Stressed the  CPU, FPU, Cache, and System Memory (decided to leave out the GPU at the moment if you want results with the GPU pinned let me know)

The CPU voltage surprisingly went down to .826 something i have not really paid attention to before, this is with no throttling. now this is just a guess could it be that the VRM is failing on tis device? I doubt it, and I am guessing the volatge went down as other components were being stressed as well. The odd thing was everything was working just fine during the stress test.

Temps:

CPU(package): ~ 57-58C after the 10 minute stress test

Core#1: 57-58C

Core#2: 57-58C 

( the new thermal paste has actually helped out a lot, it could also just be the newer Mobo as on the old mobo with stock thermal paste i was seeing temps in the mid 60's into low 70s)

Clocks on the cores were a steady 1797 throughout the entire stress test!

I am now running a short test with everything pinned + the GPU, I am guessing CPU temps will see a big jump as its the integrated GPU on here. 

oddly enough with the GPU pinned the CPU voltage went down even further lowest value i saw was a .796 and it heald it pretty steady at that value. 

the CPU temps went up as expected but the values again were not absurd

CPU package, #1,#2: 72-74C

With the older thermal paste and older mobo i saw temps coming up into the 90s and a larger difference on the package and between the cores. 

But again after stressing everyting on the system all of the values came back looking pretty good, and no thermal throttling at all on the AIDA64 stress testing everything. The fan seemed to be adjusting perfectly to the loads and the temps dropped quite quickly upon completion of each test. 

After stopping the stress tests the CPU voltage came up to .831 (its been like 60seconds) (.836 after 1:30)

some of you may consider me a heartless **bleep** for saying outsourcing all of the tech support to india is bad and most of them have no idea what they are talking about. Hear me out, 98% of the reps i talked to did not understand the difference between individual cores and the package. they also did not understand why i was testing the computer and had no idea what to do with any of the data.

I wish there was a gold tier of support that coud at least point me into the right direction, what cpu voltages are normal, what i should look out for when dealing with what i am dealing with. I do have to admit this is a very  odd issues i am having.

Thanks for reading (probably no one got this far)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Den'ka

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

so here is what i found! I have no clue what else could be causing these issues but apprently i am not the only person that has had this happen

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/How-to-escalate-an-issue-Elitebook-9470M-been-to-se...

lucky or that person he was still in warranty all of this started j0-ust outside of warranty for me!

I honestly think HP has to do something about this for those of us struggling with these issues. 

HP Recommended

Hi

It is difficult to assess your problem, with all the things you have typed.

###########

What i have done,

Swapped out the RAM(tried a single stick etc etc), new CMOS battery, fresh thermal paste, cleaned out the laptop of all dust( it was not dusty (like at all as i take care of my laptops) swapped out the mainboard, brand new power adapter, and that is about it. 

###############

So the power adapters, both old and new do not seem to be the problem.

Memory is not the likely cause, although if you have no memory installed you should notice a beep code or flashing light.

The HDD is still the original?  Yet again with it removed you should get an error.

BIOS is something I want to avoid for now. The new mainboard would have a working BIOS.

Personally I would remove as many things as possible, just leaving a bare mainboard, mouse and keyboard with a single stick of ram.  NO HDD.

Make a new install media, probably USB, of a LIVE linux like Ubuntu and a Windows install USB.

Then assess the power on frequency to the OS.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

https://www.linux.com/learn/5-live-linux-desktop-distributions-you-should-know

https://www.ubuntu.com/desktop

The Graphic/Video output is something that could be problematic.

If in doubt please ask.

HP Recommended

thanks clint, sorry about the long post, I was trying to jot down as much info as possible. the computer is running windows 7 enterprise (official from my work, and that is how i was able to get a new mobo and power supply)

I cannot imagine the HDD being the issue, purely because i would get some sort of post error. The weirdest part about all of this is that if the computers left off or in sleep mode for over 20 mins, it will not turn back on, however if you try to turn it back on immediately it will boot without issues. the only things i have not done is muck about with the monitor. if the laptop assumes the computer is closed and the power button is being pressed do you know what it would do?

i guess i can try to disassemble the entire computer again, i have done it like 10 times already so... why not. if i boot the computer without the laptop screen plugged in will it post? I was thinking of runnign the main board only with external peripherals and external monitor. 

it would be awesome to know if anyone has tried something along those lines. 

Lastly thanks for taking the time in responding i actually have both a windows 10 media drive and a linux media drive. Although do you think i can use something like heirens to boot into linux via Flash Memory? would that help, that way i can bypass the HDD interface completely and be relying on USB which seems to be working fine. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.